|Today 12:29 AM|
replaced the alternator on my Duramax pickup today because it was squealling. And then found out that it was actually the idler pulley located UNDER the alternator that was squealing. So now I have a spare alternator, and also did the pulley replacement.
AND got a new exhaust system put in wife's car. Busy day!
|Yesterday 08:53 PM|
Put new front brakes on the 40.
|Yesterday 08:42 PM|
I hate I had to do my project today but I was blessed to find a 5 month old unit less tan 200 miles from me.
The seller said he would not ship but ended up delivering it to my door. Sometimes you just meet the nicest people when you least expect it. I see God's hand in this deal from start to finish.
|01-26-2020 07:29 PM|
|Too Many Projects||
Corded tools in a shop, where you work in a limited space and have ready access to outlets, sure. We recently moved and I have been roaming from one end of this house to the other hanging pictures, repairing things, fixing the PO's messy woodwork. I'll grab my cordless every time...
|01-26-2020 05:21 PM|
|idrivejunk||Changed out the sluggish idler pulley on the GTP. Those five wheeltires are still in it, guy not there Friday. Disposed of 5 gal used oil, gassed up the rowdy one and caught a nice lingering fishtail. Yep. Warmish out.|
|01-26-2020 05:17 PM|
Cordless = dead batteries when you need them , , batteries don't last long , replacement batteries are so expensive , may as well buy a new tool . corded , always ready , old yard sale drills are dirt cheap , last forever if not abused / misused.
|01-26-2020 05:14 PM|
|1971BB427||I set up at a local swap meet Sat afternoon, and sold today. It was 8-3, but I was totally sold out by noon!! I guess not having sold much my prices were tantalizing, so about half got purchased during setup, and the rest this morning! Now I need to decide how to spend all that on the '39!|
|01-26-2020 04:05 PM|
|Molon Labe||What's that long, skinny black thing sticking out of the bottom of it?|
|01-26-2020 03:41 PM|
|Too Many Projects||
Ha, looks like a cheap 1/4" Black and Decker I had about 30 years ago. Same end result...
Go get a Milwaukee cordless like this...I know it will hurt you to spend the money, but you WON'T regret it after you use the drill a few times. I have it and their 3/8" impact and they are great !! Pics are just for example, they can be had for less than at HD
|01-26-2020 02:38 PM|
Good stuff guys! I adjusted my side yard gate, I think I need a new drill now though.
|01-26-2020 05:54 AM|
|01-25-2020 08:03 PM|
|01-25-2020 07:39 PM|
I have all the panels made and scrimmed for the back rests. I'm ready to sit down and sew.
|01-25-2020 07:24 PM|
Spent the day at the local car swap meet setting up. Getting rid of decades of spare parts I haven't used, and may never use. Sold about $400 worth just during setup, and hope to do better tomorrow. I hate to drag any of it home at the end!!!
Yesterday I spent a couple hours on the '39 Chev fiberglass before the dust and just putting the front clip on and off finally got to me. But it is beginning to move a bit!
I started with my cutoff disc and cut through the brace. It turned out to be what my wife calls "floral foam" that florists use. The floral foam was covered in a thick layer of fiberglass to form the brace. Then I made cuts about halfway through the hood to give it some relief, but also so I could judge how deep I was going while sanding.
After the cuts I cut through the brace, and removed all of the horizontal bracing. Then I used a flapper disc to begin to grind away the surface too thin it down and allow it to flex more.
Didn't want to go too much without checking, so I put it on the car again to see if it released enough to move. The first time made little difference, so I removed a bit more and tried it again. I got to about 3/16" thick and it's beginning to pull down into shape.
As this image shows, it still needs to be thinned more to allow it to drop. It's sitting tight on top of the cowl and the sheer thickness is too much to allow it to flex, and the thickness is greater than the stock hood, so it just sits higher.
I need to remove more fiberglass from the inside corners of the hood to let that area relax more. But my rear was dragging, so I quit for the day. I did test fit the grille also, and that area needs work too. The lip they have inside the opening is too thick, and the wrong angle. It may need to bee completely cut off and reattached. Or maybe a a metal lip glued along the edge so the grille sits in the opening better. Right now I have to squeeze the grille width together just to get it to sit in the opening. It's just sitting in there, so a bit lower than the finished mounting will be.
Put the bricks back on the fenders so they keep working to help it settle down hopefully.
Next week I'll start putting some heat to the glass to "bend" it a little and see how much closer I can get it before I do more grinding. My heat shrink gun, a warmed shop, and some cold wet rags to quench the glass and hold it once it moves a little should help.
|01-25-2020 07:08 PM|
Missed you, sun.
Ran across some cans of tree flocking this week and figured this was a decorative use of them.
Think I skipped V8 action last weekend but it hit 47 today so I primed the carb up and had at it. Good ol fun.
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|