|12-14-2019 09:03 PM|
The front has a cool shape to it. I'll be following along.
I do a bit of shaping myself on my project.
|11-24-2019 09:38 PM|
|Supercharged03||I'm getting prepared to place the headlight buckets into the front fenders, so I made a couple of stands to hold a horizontal brace. The photo highlighted some flaws, one being the lower flange on the driver's side fender. I fabbed a replacement piece and welded it in.|
|11-06-2019 08:34 PM|
Thanks for following.
I don't have a drawing but I have a couple of magazine clippings on the garage wall that illustrate the fender lines I have in mind.
|11-05-2019 08:21 PM|
I know how I missed this thread... the title. But wow! Not anymore, I won't. This is wild, I gotta see the whole long strange trip.
Is there a drawing or anything, of what you're going for?
|11-05-2019 07:56 PM|
|Supercharged03||I used a sheet metal punch my son inherited from my dad to cut a bunch of brackets. I had planned to bend the brackets to 90 degrees and weld them to the inside of the headlight buckets. After looking more closely at how the headlight backing plates fit into the buckets, I decided to simply weld the brackets to the rolled edge of the buckets. I used a cereal box to make a template of the mounting holes in the headlight adjustment plate and welded the brackets to the bucket edge. Clip-on nuts attach to the brackets and the headlight adjustment plate bolts to the brackets. The buckets look pretty nice with the stainless trim ring in place.|
|09-29-2019 08:46 PM|
My son the welder cut a semi-circle anvil from some 3/8 inch plate and it's worked very well to roll the edge with a body hammer. I spliced in about a two inch section of 18 guage to expand the diameter of the headlight buckets. They now match the trim rings I had purchased years ago from a now-defunct Harley-Davidson distributor.
Son also gifted me a poor man's metal bandsaw. He'd built a wall mount for a hand-held HF bandsaw some years back. He's since purchased a bigger unit and no longer had need for this one.
|08-25-2019 08:32 PM|
|Supercharged03||The 39-41 Chevrolet headlight bucket housings have a smaller diameter than do the headlight buckets I bought. I removed the internals of the bucket housing by grinding away the rivets. Then I cut away the flange on the housing that would accept the trim ring. This was a mistake - I should have left the rolled edge of the flange in place. Oh well. I ground out the rivets that held to housing together and spliced in a piece to increase the housing circumference to match the trim ring, Now to create an anvil against which to roll the edge of the housing.|
|08-13-2019 09:59 PM|
The fellow took a look at the passenger side and said, "I can't tell if it's comin' or goin'."
That's not the worst comment, though. On viewing my completed A-pillar, my son the welder said, "Well, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would."
I thrive on high praise.
|08-12-2019 11:51 AM|
I'm dying to know what the discouraging comments were.
That is gonna be a sweet custom btw.
|08-11-2019 08:37 PM|
I've had a long break. A fellow commented while viewing my build and discouraged me a bit. Oh well. I just need to pull up my big boy pants and get on with it.
I've finished reworking the flange on the driver's side front fender, reminding myself that perfect is the enemy of good. Here are a couple of photos with the headlight buckets held in place with magnets. I may play with the placement a bit more.
|05-04-2019 09:18 PM|
|Supercharged03||You can tell from the first photo that the driver's side fender meets the hood side an inch or so higher than does the passenger side. I missed getting a photo of the two fenders side-by-side, but I have one of the cardboard template I made from the passenger side up against the driver side. I cut out the three foot section from the top of the driver side fender, ran it back through the shrinker-stretcher and English wheel and welded it back in place. The height of the driver side is much closer to the passenger side now.|
|04-20-2019 08:42 AM|
Nice work and thanks for sharing how you are using the wheel and shrinker/stretcher and other hand tools to work the metal. I got one of Ron's books to learn how he works metal, it's good to see a project with so much custom work.
Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
|03-24-2019 09:14 PM|
Finished welding in the re-positioned tailpiece and flange. Fitted the final bit between the tailpiece and the side of the hood, then trimmed most of it off. Now to make the last bit of fender flange.
|03-21-2019 09:58 PM|
|Supercharged03||Tacked the tail piece in place after a little more trimming. The dip where the two pieces are joined has almost been eliminated. Shifting the tail piece around to keep the flange in the proper location has canted the bottom up, leaving a widening gap where the flange should be on the trailing edge. I used the brake and shrinker to make a new piece for the trailing flange.|
|03-17-2019 08:48 PM|
|Supercharged03||Finally got to work on the fender after a day and a half of yard work. Made the initial cut on either side of a strip of 1 inch tape. Found I needed to cut another inch to get the length (78.5 inches) to match the passenger side. Last weekend, I'd bought some butt weld clamps at Harbor Freight - 8 clamps for $6. Boy, I don't know how I've worked in the past without these clamps.|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|