Noob needs compressor help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Noob needs compressor help

I just purchased my first Air Compressor. It is a 60 Gallon Husky 3.2 Running HP unit made by CH. When I purchased it I was given a credit of sorts to buy the piping and ball valve needed as it was missing from the floor model. So basically I have a couple reducers to get me to this...

Then a small piece of pipe that gets it down to 1/4" for the pressure regulator. Now the pressure regulator has a 1/4" female output. What exactly do I want to put on this end? I have a 50ft 3/8" hose with 1/4" fittings. Should I just place the hose directly on the regulator end or would some sort of swivel piece be better? I do not plan on running any garage piping or filters as this will only be used for crappy HF tools while I tear down my chassis over the next month. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 PM

You are not going to be happy just plugging your hose into the tank, I did this & got a bunch of water everytime I used it. This was so bad that when I changed all my type m fittings for type v I could tell which had been on before the hardline as they were corroded. Even if you are going to use cheap tools now you might as well do it right so when you get good tools you don't ruin them.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Auto Parts Professional

yep, put atleast a drier in the line somewhere.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,022 Posts
you want to add a water trap,I would put a good drier also.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Wiki Edits: 2

Drain the water daily. Directly connecting that air hose to the regulator will be fine for most tools. Don't expect to do any spray painting.

The "3.2 Running HP" bothers me more than how you hook up to it. Depends on your needs, though.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I know I will want to do it the correct way but that just isn't in the budget. So I am looking for a way to use it now so I can hunt for and score the needed parts to make it a complete system. Can anyone recommend me a nice filter setup that won't break the bank?

Hey grouch...yah the 3.2hp is basically for minimal sanding and everything else. It will be just fine for what I need it for. Can you recomend a nice way to change out the water drain at the bottom of the tank? It looks really cheap. Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM

The water drain on the compressor I have was a cheap petcock. I took it out and put a 90 degree elbow in it's place and a 6" nipple then screwed on a better ball valve. Now I can drain it with out getting my hand way under the tank.

gcrmcc
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM

Awesome thanks!

Also, I see they make couplers and disconnects in the following styles: A, M , T, L, G, Industrial and probably a few more I am have not heard of. What works with what? What should I look for? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krmnnghia
Awesome thanks!

Also, I see they make couplers and disconnects in the following styles: A, M , T, L, G, Industrial and probably a few more I am have not heard of. What works with what? What should I look for? Thanks!
I use "M" style, only because the last place I worked at had them and I didn't want to replace all the fittings on my air tools. They work o.k. for the usual air tools that most have at home. I think there are newer ones for HVLP spray guns now. I guess I'll look into them soon.

gcrmcc
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks alot!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM

I did the same, ran some pipe to drain valve, all i gotta do is reach down and crack the valve, the drain plug seemed to get snapgged on old roots and rocks, as well I added some bigger tires to help pull it threw the yard.
I also made 3 quick connects, one with a regulator built, the other with a filter, the last one, pure air power for them tough bolts/nuts.
In case you don't know, those tanks have experation dates.
I have an extra tank laying around, what I want to do is add it to the tank I use...nervous about doing this, can;t find any info on how to do it safely...last thing i need is to be at drs pullen tank peices outta my skull..
Got any recs?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked79monte
I did the same, ran some pipe to drain valve, all i gotta do is reach down and crack the valve, the drain plug seemed to get snapgged on old roots and rocks, as well I added some bigger tires to help pull it threw the yard.
I also made 3 quick connects, one with a regulator built, the other with a filter, the last one, pure air power for them tough bolts/nuts.
In case you don't know, those tanks have experation dates.
I have an extra tank laying around, what I want to do is add it to the tank I use...nervous about doing this, can;t find any info on how to do it safely...last thing i need is to be at drs pullen tank peices outta my skull..
Got any recs?
I don't what size your compressor is, but adding another tank to the existing one will not give you more cfm's and will probably end up working your compressor to death in a short time.

gcrmcc

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in