Odor from floor furnace on start up? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Just another question or two - what kind of exhaust does this furnace have - a standard masonry chimney or a metal pipe? Is it fully inside the house and in a wall or does it exit through a wall? If it has ceramic liners, one could be cracked and leak, but when good heat and flow are established, the exhaust stream moves too fast to leak (or it closes). Metal, even the SS multi wall stuff can leak - elbows and at joints especially.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Steel Dreams

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
I have called a dozen heat and cool contractors and no one will even come out and look at the floor furnace. Everyone told me they only service and install central heat and air with duct work, about a $5000 dollar expense in my case. I do not want the central unit so, I am thinking my best option now is:

1. Turn the floor furnace off and give up the idea of trying to repair it or find out what the problem is.

2. Buy a console or wall natural gas heater of the same BTU as the floor furnace I have now, and try to tap into the existing vent work and natural gas line.

Does anyone have a better solution? Thanks for the information so far.
Hotrodman if you want someone to check it out call any one of the propane company's as they usually are the ones that sell/service floor furnaces. I agree with the rest of the guy's I think that combustion gases are getting out of the chamber . We had the same problem years ago in a rental house,cracked heat exchanger that sealed off when it got hot.
Kenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
One would think that after 5 mo. of daily use, That would have happened already.
I had a floor unit in a house I rented for about 8 years. Every fall I would have the same problem, it was not cold enough to run the furnace for more than a few hours a day, but I found out that if I lit the furnace in the fall before it got too cold, let it run all day, the odor would burn off. If I didn't do this, the odor would persist for weeks. The odor smelled like urine or ammonia, plus a musty odor, probably from dust that I couldn't reach with the shop vacuum. Mice will urinate EVERYWHERE, unless you can find a way to scrub it out you're stuck with burning it out. Mice can squeeze into remarkably small places, don't count them out. If any part of the unit is suspect, get a carbon monoxide detector. These units don't normally burn hot enough to cause much of a chance at flue failure, nor do they put out a lot of harsh chemicals, and can be vented with aluminum flue pipe. This would be a B-vent flue, like a hot water heater, they are pretty durable.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

metal vent pipe

The flue pipe for the floor furnace is a 4 or 5 inch metal pipe that travels at a slight upward angle under the house until it gets to a wall near the center of the house and then it takes a 90 degree turn up thru the house and out the roof. It goes thru a closet at one point and it looks like 1/2 inch ceramic pipe which goes up thru the attic and then converts back to a metal pipe as it goes thru the roof. The roof part is about 2 feet tall and is 2 feet taller than anything within 10 feet. I have smelled the pipe in the crawl space while the unit is running and can not smell any odor along the pipe. 100% of the odor is right above the heat exchanger in the house, is so bad you would think there is a hole the size of a basket ball in the heat exchanger, lasts about 10 minutes and then goes away. I have already tried running it for 8 hours sometimes longer on the really cold days we had, thinking the problem would go away but it is still there. As a last resort, I will disassemble the flue pipe at a couple of joints and take the bottom inspection plate off the unit to see If I find anything unusual. It burns with a blue flame the way it is supposed to.

Great suggestion on calling the propane company, I had not thought of that.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Color of flame is mostly blue but has some yellow mixed in

I worked on the furnace almost all day. I dis-assembled the flue that went thru the crawl space and found nothing. I took the plate off the bottom of the unit that is directly below the burner. I did not see any residue on the burners just rust. I took a wire brush the size of a tooth brush and spent about 2 hours cleaning the burner. I shined a light up inside the heat exchanger, then went into the house with all the lights turned off to see if any light peeped thru. There was no light peeking thru anywhere. There were supposed to be 6 screws holding the bottom plate on but there were only 4. Cleaned it all up, re-installed the bottom plate with 6 screws. I fired it up and it has about 50% less odor than before but its still there.

I took special note of the color of the flame, and it is mostly blue with a little yellow mixed in.

Is that normal?

If not, can I adjust it to be 100% blue or is this a job for a professional?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I worked on the furnace almost all day. I dis-assembled the flue that went thru the crawl space and found nothing. I took the plate off the bottom of the unit that is directly below the burner. I did not see any residue on the burners just rust. I took a wire brush the size of a tooth brush and spent about 2 hours cleaning the burner. I shined a light up inside the heat exchanger, then went into the house with all the lights turned off to see if any light peeped thru. There was no light peeking thru anywhere. There were supposed to be 6 screws holding the bottom plate on but there were only 4. Cleaned it all up, re-installed the bottom plate with 6 screws. I fired it up and it has about 50% less odor than before but its still there.

I took special note of the color of the flame, and it is mostly blue with a little yellow mixed in.

Is that normal?

If not, can I adjust it to be 100% blue or is this a job for a professional?
The color is normal. It may get a little more color to it the longer it runs but it sounds like all is well. Do you have any other animals that my be "marking a spot"? I don't know the design of your heater but there may be a chance a cat could be spraying, this would explain the smell persisting.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM

Finally got a repair man

Don't have any animals at all and it is impossible for anything to get under the house into the crawl space. I have examined the burner first hand and it is clean as a whistle. After calling about 20 people, I finally got a man to come out and look at the unit next Monday. From the description I gave him, he agrees with many of you that the heat exchanger is cracked and seals itself up after it runs for a few minutes. It would have to be a hair line crack because I have examined the heat exchanger from the top and the bottom and can't find a crack or hole anywhere. I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Of course it's fast

Should move to florida. Its been 90 degrees + for the last month. A/ c cranking all day.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
My pipes are my music

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Should move to florida. Its been 90 degrees + for the last month. A/ c cranking all day.
Probably not because the humidity sucks, and we don't speak spanish. And who want's to take chances with a tornado that's 100 mi. wide?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM

2 Professionals could not find a problem with the floor furnace

I finally got 2 professionals out to look at the floor furnace and neither one of them could find anything at all wrong with the unit. One man tried to sell me a picture frame mini heat pump split system. After researching this on line I could not see how that was going to heat and cool the 900 square feet that I had. I have decided to buy a heat - cool window unit, and keep the floor furnace for power outages and really cold days.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
My pipes are my music

Quote:
I finally got 2 professionals out to look at the floor furnace and neither one of them could find anything at all wrong with the unit. One man tried to sell me a picture frame mini heat pump split system. After researching this on line I could not see how that was going to heat and cool the 900 square feet that I had. I have decided to buy a heat - cool window unit, and keep the floor furnace for power outages and really cold days.
Amazing how 2 pro's can't find the problem and instead, 1 try's a sales pitch.
There's been a lot of con's working this year with the abnormally cold winter according to the news channels.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in