Oil after break in? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Oil after break in?

what do you recommend after the break in period?

Advertisement

Last edited by Crosley; 11-15-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: read thread dates first. thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Times have changed.

Use a quality synthetic and send it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:45 PM
True Hotrodder

I'm not going to get into this whole synthetic vs mineral vs break-in time but what we do on engines that we drag race is a mix of VR-1 and 10W30 Valvoline and Wix Filter. We do 3 heat cycles on the engine and we let the engine get cold between each one. Assuming no issues, we dump the oil and filter thru paint filters checking for any debris, plus cutting open the filter for a look. Then and this is dependent on each of us. My 2 sons have a preference for VR-1 20w50 Racing Oil along with Wix racing filter. My preference is Mobil 20w50 picked up from Wallymart and the Wix racing filter.

All of us have successful engines and the clearances on bearings is probably a smidge looser that what you would run on the street. We also run ring gaps on thin rings that favor the workings of the vacuum pumps.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
BogiesAnnex1 (11-17-2018)

Old 11-15-2018, 04:04 PM

A high performance engine needs high performance oil, the magic is in the additives not the base stock oil. For actual racing, use Mobil 1 Racing Oil https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-104145
For street use, Penngrade https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpo-71446

For my use on short oval circle track racing I use the PennGrade 10-40 cause I'm thrifty
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 PM
True Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
A high performance engine needs high performance oil, the magic is in the additives not the base stock oil. For actual racing, use Mobil 1 Racing Oil https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-104145
For street use, Penngrade https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bpo-71446

For my use on short oval circle track racing I use the PennGrade 10-40 cause I'm thrifty

That's why I'm at Wallymart buying the 20w50 Mobil 1 . Running methanol we dump this stuff way too often - I am on a 25 pass schedule, give or take a couple.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
MoonBat (11-23-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Thanked 1,143 Times in 913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyfromfresno View Post
what do you recommend after the break in period?
To a large extent that depends on the cam first as type flat tappet versus roller, and how nasty are the cam lobes and spring pressures. Everything else gets in line after the cam lobe wear potentials are covered.

Short ramps, fast lift rates, and high lifts all work against lobe and lifter life. Flat tappet cam's in particular suffer, they always have. They depend on dry lube properties of zinc phosphate compounds in the oil. There are other good dry lubes such as moly compounds as well but they filter out where compounds like ZDDP don't which is why they became popular before the EPA ruled them down to out because of their ability to reduce the effectiveness of cat converters.

The long term use of modern oils with flat tappet cam's drives you to additives for over the counter oils, or to racing or old car speciality oils, or at least in the past to fleet diesel/gas oils which are also losing their rich applications of zinc/phosphate compounds. Motorcycle oils recommended for models that use the same oil for the engine and transmission also pack in good amounts of Extreme Pressure (EP) lubes as well because the tranny gears need it.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in