Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Oil Changes (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oil-changes-519545.html)

chasracer 02-01-2019 07:43 AM

Oil Changes

Who shakes the oil bottle before pouring?

dwighty390 02-01-2019 08:42 AM

Nobody....

fat tire 02-01-2019 11:16 AM

only if I drop ithttps://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ima...es/biggrin.gif

chasracer 02-03-2019 06:20 PM

There is some thought that shaking the oil before pouring will ensure that all of the various contents of the bottle are mixed. I have no idea of whether there is anything to it or not but it's certainly not going to hurt anything.

Old97 02-03-2019 09:14 PM

So the oil drum attached to the guns at the quickie lube is just all out of whack and the guy that gets the oil change at the bottom of the barrel gets all the additives? And the first guy don't get diddly? Come on now.

cerial 02-03-2019 09:26 PM

Never shake it. But I do put on a new filter leaving the drain plug off and pour 1/2 a quart of the fresh stuff into the thing down the fill. It cleans some of the old out of the engine that is sitting in the heads/pan.

I change my oil every 2-5000 depending on how hard I have run it. Typically every 3000 or every 6 months.

Your oil is going to get mixed no need to shake the bottle.

dwighty390 02-04-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old97 (Post 4652643)
So the oil drum attached to the guns at the quickie lube is just all out of whack and the guy that gets the oil change at the bottom of the barrel gets all the additives? And the first guy don't get diddly? Come on now.

LOL no kidding...maybe they have agitators for the alleged "believers."

CQNRQY 02-04-2019 06:00 PM

That's a new one on me

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasracer (Post 4652127)
Who shakes the oil bottle before pouring?

I've never even thought of shaking up the oil jug before using it.
I think it's more important to put some oil into the new oil filter so your oil pump doesn't run dry (cavitation prevention). Oh, and make sure you install the filter and pan plug before you poor in that thoroughly mixed oil...:mwink:

meborder 02-04-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old97 (Post 4652643)

The oil drums at oil change shops would never have a problem because they use it quick enough.

If a guy like you or me would buy a drum and take several years to go through it, then yes additives can settle out

Do a search for additive separation and you will find pics of empty oil bottles with “stuff “ at the bottom. That “stuff” are some of the additives that have precipitated out over a long period of storage. Some brands are worse than others, but it is a real and documented phenomenon.

For most people, it simply isn’t an issue. But I’ve got some oil that has been sitting for years, and those I do shake just in case. Fresh oil won’t ever be an issue though.

Old97 02-04-2019 07:32 PM

I don't know man, The most oil I have ever bought was like 6 cases. A drum? When I was at the MOPAR dealer way back in the 90s a drum of HDX diesel oil would last a year. Back before everyone thought you need a one ton dually to pull a pop up camper or a John boat. How long did it sit plus new drums would sit in plant 3 for like a year or 2.

dwighty390 02-05-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CQNRQY (Post 4652841)
I've never even thought of shaking up the oil jug before using it.
I think it's more important to put some oil into the new oil filter so your oil pump doesn't run dry (cavitation prevention). Oh, and make sure you install the filter and pan plug before you poor in that thoroughly mixed oil...:mwink:

Now why on Earth would the pump be any drier after an oil change than it would have after any other normal period of inactivity?

meborder 02-05-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old97 (Post 4652865)
I don't know man, The most oil I have ever bought was like 6 cases. A drum? When I was at the MOPAR dealer way back in the 90s a drum of HDX diesel oil would last a year. Back before everyone thought you need a one ton dually to pull a pop up camper or a John boat. How long did it sit plus new drums would sit in plant 3 for like a year or 2.

It’s a thing and it can happen

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1043912

Whether you choose to acknowledge or do anything about it is up to you as an individual.

For me I shake them if they have been sitting a while

Ymmv

dwighty390 02-06-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meborder (Post 4652965)
Itís a thing and it can happen

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1043912

Whether you choose to acknowledge or do anything about it is up to you as an individual.

For me I shake them if they have been sitting a while

Ymmv

The same thing happens with beer. You should ALWAYS shake a beer vigorously before opening/pouring.

meborder 02-06-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwighty390 (Post 4653215)
The same thing happens with beer. You should ALWAYS shake a beer vigorously before opening/pouring.

I something like that to one of my friends years ago on a road trip. he asked me to hand him a mt. dew from the cooler. so i gave it a vigorous shake right in front of him and handed it to him and said "here ya go!"

he paused for a second, looked at me and said "ha, ha, smart arse ... it's your car" and opened it up.

it would work with beer, too, though.

CQNRQY 02-06-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwighty390 (Post 4652951)
Now why on Earth would the pump be any drier after an oil change than it would have after any other normal period of inactivity?

When you replace the filter and don't put oil in it. You're relying on the pump to fill your filter up risking damage to your pump. You may run your pump dry until the filter fills with oil. It's Just a good practice that I learned working on hydraulic equipment.