Which one? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which one?

OK well, i know there has been a lot of welder threads on here, and ive read through most of them. I am just having a hard time deciding still so here are my options

Millermatic 140 (NEW Autoset Version) - $644
http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...ct_Code=907335

Hobart Handler 140 - Includes Mig Cart!- $545
http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...ct_Code=500505

Lincoln Power MIG 140C- -$598 (is there a difference between the T and the C, i read both descriptions and they where exactly the same)
http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...t_Code=K2471-1

This will be my first welder. But at work we have a big miller mig machine that im familiar with I would like to go semi cheap as i see myself in the future buying a bigger better machine once i have a more obtainable shop. So the hobart machine looks great to me, its what i was leaning towards, and pro cons to that machine?

At school(community college) we have some small hobart machines, that i havent gotten to use the teacher says they are great, for the class they use mid size millers.

Im just trying to figure out what best suits my application

and i will be doing mostly sheetmetal repair work with this. Fixing the bed on my 65 ford f100, shaving door handles/mirrors/emblems/tailgate handle/fuel "door" and the massive hole in the side that was cut for a utility box. I'm sure i will use it for many other odd jobs including welding the air bag brackets on my 67 continetial and what ever other fabrication needs to be done to it.

thanks for the help guys
brandon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Any one of those will do what you need to do just fine..I have used a Lincoln myself for many years and have gotten a good service from it..One thing I have which is nice is infintely adjustable wire speed and amps..Very helpful on thin sheet metal..

Sam
Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 PM

I will admit that I am biased toward Lincoln but IMO that Lincoln is worth the difference in price, much better controls. This is not to say the Hobart is not a good machine, it is, but IMO that Lincoln is better at least in this case. It has a higher top current setting (although a bit shorter duty cycle at that setting) that could make all the difference on some jobs because a 110 volt machine needs all the help it can get no matter who makes it. Also, again just my opinion but I do believe this to be true, the electrics in the Lincoln are just better built and I think it will be a more trouble free machine. I don't have any personal experience with that little Miller but I am sure you would not be disappointed with it if you decided to spend the extra money for it, after all it is a Miller. All else considered my choice of the three would have to be the Lincoln.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Last wiki edit: VW engine basics
Last journal entry: note from the sandpit vol.#3
Location: sunny south(maybe rainy,haven't looked outside today) florida
Wiki Edits: 10

welder

I would imagine that any of the ones you mentioned would do the job,but here's another thought;check with the companies,alot of the time you can buy a factory remanufactured unit for 50% to 70% of the price of new and get the same warranty.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprecher48
I would imagine that any of the ones you mentioned would do the job,but here's another thought;check with the companies,alot of the time you can buy a factory remanufactured unit for 50% to 70% of the price of new and get the same warranty.
what companies do i check with? lincoln or miller directly? or a welding supply company? Do you have any more detailed information about how to do that. Saving money is the name of the game. Thanks for that idea im going to do a little research on it right now
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
street rods forever

Sounds like the Miller "autoset" is new technology.I was reading the details,they say its automatic in one phrase then in another they say to use the dial to fine tune the wire speed...imo,not worth xtra bucks.
When I bought my Lincoln I looked at the same brands you mentioned,looked under the "hood" where all the guts are and they looked exactly all the same.
I kinda again "imo" I think there mass produced by same place with a different color body....does that make sense to anyone?
I chose the Lincoln probably because that's what I used all my life with good service.
Hope you can get them cheaper ....
I must stress the fact of using good extension cord,try to plug near the service panel for better results.......good luck
Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Last wiki edit: VW engine basics
Last journal entry: note from the sandpit vol.#3
Location: sunny south(maybe rainy,haven't looked outside today) florida
Wiki Edits: 10

re;which one

I guess you could check with the companies.I bought a light duty Campbell-housefield (american made) for under $150 with the same warranty as new on ebay.I would check with some of the more reputable wholesale suppliers in your area,I'm sure they could help you.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM

One part of your original question that was overlooked is the "T" on Lincoln welders stands for "tapped" (or stepped) settings and "C" means "continuous" or infinitely variable.
My Lincoln is tapped (has 5 steps) and works good for me but the continuous is a nice feature from what most say if you got the bucks. But you certainly don't have to have it. You'll learn to adjust the wire feed to compensate for those in between settings.
Also from having searched this subject before I bought my Lincoln and talking to people, it boils down to whether you like red or blue. Lincolns and Millers are both good. Just don't buy a HF like I did originally, it only lasted for several years of light use.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZR
I think there mass produced by same place with a different color body....does that make sense to anyone?
Almost right, at least with the Miller and Hobart machines. Miller and Hobart are owned by the same parent company (ITW) and some of the smaller models do indeed share some of the same components. There is even an "urban legend" that Miller owns Hobart and Hobart is just a second rate Miller or that Hobart owns Miller, depends on who you talk to but neither is the case. ITW bought out Miller then some years later they bought Hobart and on the smaller machines they combined a lot of parts with the Miller line being aimed more at the industrial market (the heavier machines) while the Hobart machines are aimed more at the shop/garage type market. Both are really good welders and the small Hobarts are not "second rate", it is just that ITW decided to go after two different markets with two different lines. Usually a Miller will have more features at a higher cost than a comparable Hobart but when you get into the light shop type MIG welders you will find some common parts but overall quality will be about the same.

I have mentioned my little Lincoln 110 here several times because of the REALLY good service I got from that thing. When I still ran my welding/mine machinery repair shop we had Lincoln diesel welders with Lincoln LN 8, Ln 9 and LN25 wire feeders for MIG/flux core use but I always carried that little 110 welder (my toy welder I called it) on my service truck whenever I was in the field. The reason for doing this was a couple of frequent light duty jobs that it was perfect for that the big welders were not suited to. For several years that thing bounced around in my truck tool box, got dragged out in all kinds of weather, used in rain, mud, snow, dropped more than once and just generally got abused FAR more than it was ever designed to take but it was like the EverReady Bunny it just kept going and going and going! I still have it today and even though it looks like ten miles of bad road because most of the paint was beaten off and it has some dents and dings it still works. Lincoln welders have served me well, VERY well, since 1968 and that little 110 outfit was no exception!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 AM

When you start welding sheet metal, especially older sheet metal that may be worn or ground a little thin, you will want all the help you can get from the welder.

Pay the little extra and get the miller. Also get the co2-argon gas mix, and about a .023 wire.

I know two years ago the lincoln had a plastic drive wheel, I don't know if they have changed that, but theres a reason for the higher price of a miller.

I've used 110 millers since they first came out, I'm guessing a little on this, maybe early eighties.

They don't break down.

When your bent over a car, helmet and respirator on, and your burning through the metal in places, you will be thankfull for that miller, because it could be a whole lot worse.

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in