Opinions on hood tractors for 77 trans am hood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2017, 08:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Opinions on hood tractors for 77 trans am hood

I see some sick hoods that people put custom extractors on. I have been considering adding them to my 77 trans am hood. It already has the shaker hood of course though. Would the extractors, the shaker hole, and the hood bird be too much going on? I think keeping the shaker is a must. The extractors would be smaller- maybe 12" wide and sweep down far into the front of the hood and almost to the rear hopefully. I wouldn't be able to make them huge and in the center because of the shaker hole. Here's a quick little sketch.

This would be one reason to keep a steel hood. I want a $2700 carbon fiber hood, but that's obviously a lot of money and I would NEVER customize it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 AM

I grew up in an era when making a car unique was seriously desirable! It is also nice if people notice your changes. :-)~

I like it! :-)

One of the problems I have today is that customs have gotten pretty boring. Basically like "used cars with mags". {:-(
Old 07-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I think a couple of rows of old school louvers would be nice.. Not seen much these days..

Sam

Old 07-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,453 Times in 3,208 Posts
Tasteful custom metal work is always an eye catcher! However if they were laid out like in the sketch, the vents would be on top or ahead of the core support, defeating the purpose. And yes, of course having those indents where the bird goes adds a degree of impossibility to actually painting or applying a nice looking bird decal there. If you do this, My vote is to skip the bird. I never did like the cars where guys put shakers through Formula hoods. What I did think was neat was ducting the fender's extractors to fabbed wheelwells / inner fenders (provides ventilation around header primary tubes) that were made to conform to the new full frame on that 73 I showed you.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:22 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,216 Times in 2,697 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it would be too much going on. I've seen early 1990's Z34 Lumina hood extractors grafted into a 1979 Camaro Z28 hood with the factory hood scoop, and it was just too much going on.

Seems to me it would be even worse on a T/A because of the fact it already has fender mounted extractors on it.

Only thing I'd add to a T/A hood is a 1968-1972-ish era factory hood tach. I'd also cut the back of the Shaker scoop open so that it was actually functional.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Tasteful custom metal work is always an eye catcher! However if they were laid out like in the sketch, the vents would be on top or ahead of the core support, defeating the purpose. And yes, of course having those indents where the bird goes adds a degree of impossibility to actually painting or applying a nice looking bird decal there. If you do this, My vote is to skip the bird. I never did like the cars where guys put shakers through Formula hoods. What I did think was neat was ducting the fender's extractors to fabbed wheelwells / inner fenders (provides ventilation around header primary tubes) that were made to conform to the new full frame on that 73 I showed you.

IDJ, good point. I HATE the formula hoods with shakers through them. Of course I would have the vents after the core support too though. I'll lay some stuff out in tape and maybe share it with you guys.

If I had the money I wouldn't even be thinking of this and would be ordering a carbon hood.

Can you link to that full frame 73 again?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Schroeder; 07-15-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:12 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

get cardboard and tape and lay some ideas out on a hood. When you get the right pieces and got your shape, that's your template. Louvers are cool but know anyone with a louver press? Those presses also sink the areas around the louvers.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
IDJ, good point. I HATE the formula hoods with shakers through them. Of course I would have the vents after the core support too though. I'll lay some stuff out in tape and maybe share it with you guys.

If I had the money I wouldn't even be thinking of this and would be ordering a carbon hood.

Can you link to that full frame 73 again?

The pics I linked don't show much detail but unless you deleted the PM you still have the link. Does the CF hood look something like the sketch? Thought you had a nice fat budget on this car.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Just an FYI there are some you tube videos on how to make a louver press.. The old guy here that had one is gone now and I don't know of a replacement for him..

Sam
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 PM

I'll look through my PMs. The carbon fiber hood would be an OEM replica. They only weigh 25-27lbs!!!

I have already spent a ton of money on this car. I'm afraid to total anything up. I figure I still have another $20k needed. I'm starting to cut out some of the super high end stuff. Plus, a hood might be able to to be added later.

Not following why I need a louver press. I thought I'd just cut a hole, weld a flange on, and then add the pieces of metal. I'll look up louver presses on youtube and maybe it'll quickly become apparent.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

These are extractors I built into the hood on my truck.

The hood is a 'glass unit from Unlimited products.
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to astroracer For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM

Opinions on hood tractors for 77 trans am hood

Wow classy. Not too over done. I looked up louder presses. They're exactly what they thought they are and make the little Oliver's like one would find on the side of a computer or something to let heat out. Why would a fella need one of those to make extractors such as the ones Astro racer just posted?

How did you mold up the extractors since they were fiberglass? If you're hobbyist like me I wouldn't think you'd have s bunch of mold material. A simple wood form would probably work for an extractor I guess though. Did you feather the glass in to the bottom side of the hood and then fill on the top with filler to transition the hood into the extractors smoothly?

I picked up a metal hood from jeg's this weekend too big of a difference between the costs of a hood I have to go to Canada to get and pay $2700 for and a $427 after tax hood. The carbon would be sick though. Anyway, with a metal hood, the extractors may be coming.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Grand Prix User

Man. Tapatalk ain't doing you no favors, lol. Louvers were suggested as an alternative to extractors. They would be more for function and your extractors would mostly be for looks. Not something that would be done in fiberglass though. Astro's fiberglass "tractors" are on a fiberglass hood. I have made small parts just taping up cardboard and glassing that. If it needs to be thick, after removing the cardboard and sanding the tape off you can go again from the back side. If you add extractors similar to the sketch to a steel hood, for best appearance butt weld them in place.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM

That was a bad post. I try to re-read my posts through Tapatalk because auto-correct wreaks havoc. That time I was in a hurry and did not. It looks like you deciphered my post though, IDJ!

I will be welding extractors in if I do them on my steel hood. I would use fiberglass if adding to a glass hood or carbon fiber. Again though, I could never feel comfortable adding anything like that to a $2700+ carbon hood. Too much risk for a newb like me.

I still have to do some thinking and mock up on this to make a final decision. I already have my steel hood. I have some questions concerning the best way to make the pieces. My questions concern where the welds would lie and the best way to proceed with construction of the extractor. I think I'll draw some stuff up and post the pics to properly convey my questions.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in