Paint color question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good
Wiki Edits: 0

Paint color question

Over the years it has been said the RED color always fades to pink over time.

With today's modern chemistry has that changed? Is red today still the same red 10 years later.

More specific Fords Race Red and Rapid Red 2020 Mustang GT

All opinions accepted

Pep

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

Who can say? A 2020 paint color hasn't had "10 years" to age so how do you judge how much it will "fade"?
Spray the color you want, don't worry about fading. If you keep the paint clean and polished it will not fade to any great extent. A car that is not maintained is more likely to fade then one that is...
Mark
Old 11-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,408 Times in 3,181 Posts
Red is a primary color. Formulas contain little else but red. In nature, red pigments are weakest. So it will always be the most fade prone (and expensive) color family. Clearcoat has done much to improve color holdout. Some red toners are less colorfast than others. Manufacturers of refinish paint consider 7 years to be the maximum warranteeable amount of time their product should be expected to look the same.

All that is fact but just fluffy ones. The relevant fact is the quality of the paint. Shoot something with minimal coverage of cheap single stage and toss it outdoors? Expect pink soon. Shoot it with big name base clear and apply enough for true full hiding coverage, keep it in a garage, and you may never percieve a change as long as you live.

You haven't quite provided enough info so a blanket statement is best I can do. Mark gave it to you straight. Most guys don't give much thought to red fading these days because products have improved to a point of it being a non-issue.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Thank you both for a reasoned response, details ask for are.

2020 Mustang paint post, is regarding a Ford factory applied color.

When I purchased a 99 Silverodo, black . Also ordered the 5 book GM service manuals.

Found in them, 3M was the applied paint, and suggesting 3M was to be used to maintain the quality of the finish.

Using the 3M wash & polish, the truck today. Color shows no signs of fade, even, looks like it was when new.

I am on the same page regarding care. Mostly curious if Red would or could be kept as well.

I like the contrast that a Red with black accents, vents wheels and so on reflects.

The Molly blue lacks the same degree of contrast .. to my eye

Pep
Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,408 Times in 3,181 Posts
My response was in reference to plain solid red. My bad. The full name of Rapid Red is "Rapid Red metallic tinted clearcoat". Thats another matter entirely.

In my opinion, chances are good that if cared for you'll get an easy ten years out of that and never see pink.

E9 Laser Red was popular on 90s Mustangs. The foundation color was a pink metallic and the "candy" layer was a translucent and metallic dark red. Look at those to see how that sort of paint job holds out. Three stage colors are not going to be available in B grade paint qualities, so its gonna be high but should last well.

If you gotta have the visually captivating glow effect of a three stage color, you not only add expense and labor initially but the price and complexity of repairs pretty much doubles. My take on three step colors is that the appearance does not justify the trouble and expense for most folks. Regular two stage pearl colors are plenty good enough. If the candy look is desired, I believe the traditional approach is best. Thats a silver or gold metallic covered by a dyed or tinted clear.

So my advice is to shop around (not on a computer screen but in person because the "effect" is a firsthand-only perception) for something that suits you but is not a three stage color, use good paint, and disregard the fade concern. I always kinda liked Wild Strawberry, among Ford metallic / pearl reds. It was popular on 90s pickups. All the 3 step bright reds are, to me, failed attempts at making a metallic that is true red like a solid can be. They miss that mark and only look bright red where they face strong sunlight.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Painted 1985, 34 years ago - no clear coat like my 2000 Gm products which are peeling.
Not a high dollar paint job, driver quality - has 280,000 miles on it now.
I don't think I will ever be a fan of modern factory paints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00255.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	449293   Click image for larger version

Name:	1940 running boards.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	449295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopewell.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	449297  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in