paint manufacturer suggestions and my opinion - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
The Transtar Euro clear looks real nice for the first day but it dies back. I think we need to find a better insurance job clear, but only 2-3 people have brought back insurance work for comebacks. Most of our comebacks are restoration jobs. No one really cares about insurance work. Can literally get away with murder.
Try SPI instead of Transvestitestar

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

how much for clear and hardener? I'll run it by the boss for production use.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You are absolutely right, they are two different worlds, resto and collision. But I have seen some CRAZY collision customers though! LOL, HOLY CRAP I literally, I am not making this up, I SAW THIS with my own eyes! A woman come to pickup a Honda Pilot and pull a magnifying glass out of her purse and look it over, I SWEAR I am telling you the truth or lightening strike me dead right now. My God, I have had people go over details like it was in the main arena at the Grand Nationals.

Wild, but yes the norm, oh heck yes they come and get the keys and drive off.

Brian
yeah, we've gotten them like that. Some of them seem to see stuff they never seen before when picking up the car.Before pics can spot a liar though.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,969 Times in 4,424 Posts
Quote:
yeah, we've gotten them like that. Some of them seem to see stuff they never seen before when picking up the car.Before pics can spot a liar though.
But often they are RIGHT. The door gap isn't as it should be or the color isn't as good as it could be or there is overspray somewhere, they are usually right. The customer is always right, they could be unreasonable, but they are right.

Then there are the ones who are genuine, they hear a rattle they didn't before....but it has NOTHING to do with the claim, the repair, nothing, but they didn't hear it before. Just had one yesterday. A light rearender and the package tray had a rattle. I put a little butyl tape under the tab that sticks thru a hole in the structure under the rear window and done deal.

Brian
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM
put up or shut up

they are not always right but you do the work anyways. That door we painted on the blue chevelle was free, even after he accused us of scratching/ touching it up, called the boss a liar, and even after we presented him with written documentation that it was touched up by the prior shop who so called "fixed" it we still did it for free. Doesn't make him right though.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Yup you do fine people that an be "something else" but back to painting the biggest issue I had with painters is rushing the job and not using sufficient flash times or the metal was cold or something like that..

Just a couple of notes..Metal need to be 60 degrees or more to paint and flash times given in the tech sheets are minimum times under ideal conditions.. Does not hurt and really helps to let each coat of paint flash out well before applying the next coat of material. Use an intercoat clear between applications of graphics and yes if you are doing a car with lots of graphics of different colors you may have it in the booth for a day or three with all the masking and applications of material..
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Quote:
how much for clear and hardener? I'll run it by the boss for production use.

You can print this off and show him the prices for the SPI products. I have never sprayed the Production clear, but my brother loves it. I use the Euro mixed 4:1:1 on production jobs and the Universal 1:1 on resto work. Both are excellent clears to work with.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 AM

This thread is a great example of why I refer to myself as a product rep and not a salesman. Im a poor salesman; I often times talk customers out of stuff they don't need. Not that it would harm them to have it, but if I can save the guy $100 bucks and that covers his shipping bill, why not. One of my good friends is a collision shop owner and the way the insurance companies try to bend him over is nuts. I really applaud you guys for sticking to your guns and insisting the job gets done right. Your work is in full view of god and country, mines underneath the car LOL
Old 05-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
This thread is a great example of why I refer to myself as a product rep and not a salesman. Im a poor salesman; I often times talk customers out of stuff they don't need. Not that it would harm them to have it, but if I can save the guy $100 bucks and that covers his shipping bill, why not. One of my good friends is a collision shop owner and the way the insurance companies try to bend him over is nuts. I really applaud you guys for sticking to your guns and insisting the job gets done right. Your work is in full view of god and country, mines underneath the car LOL

As I have said, a salesman's job is to provide the customer with what he NEEDS. Salesman have such a bad rap because of the bad ones. My dad was a salesman, and as he use to say "The doctor has learned nothing sense he left med school if not for the salesmen". When I was a paint rep my job as far as I was concerned was to solve shops problems, NOT pump up numbers but to solve their problems. And I most certainly didn't have big sales numbers. But my old manager sure made me feel good when I ran into him at NACE about 5 years after I left to go back into the body shop side of the industry and he offered me my old territory back telling me he would move the guy that was there somewhere else. And he was dead serious, he asked me where I wanted to work, he wanted me back. He had been out thru my territory and had shop after shop ask for me. That REALLY made me feel good, when I walked away from their booth there at NACE I was ten feet tall, that REALLY made me feel good that those guys out there felt that way. I had done my job that's for sure, that was the proof. And I still sold plenty too, the point was I sold what the customer NEEDED not a bunch of bells and whistles. I had been a shop owner, I KNEW what shop owners needed and I tried to provide them with it.
Now, this isn't to say that the shop owner always knew what he needed and listened too! There were a number of shops that come to mind that never heard a friggin thing I said because they only saw a salesman and not someone that was trying to help them. They didn't understand a lot of the technology and the thought I didn't understand it either, they were lost. No matter what I did or said, PROVED things right in front of them with the spray gun, it still didn't help, they were so hell bent on proving me wrong I couldn't never make them see that what they were doing was hurting them and not me.

I use to love it when I brought in the tech rep and they asked a question that they had asked me months before, he gave them the same answer and they STILL didn't believe it.

That was almost 15 years ago I left that job and I still talk with a few of my customers and have stopped by their shops that are hundreds of miles away when I am on vacation or something like that. I even still exchange Christmas cards with a few of them.

Brian
Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM
put up or shut up

the problem I have with these sales reps is that you realize certain brands have certain things that are good, but unless you are 3m your brand isn't consistently good across the board. You won't hear a sales rep for Norton sandpaper go, "yeah but for the 1500 grit and up you should go 3M". At the end of the day they are salesmen and I just don't trust them. If you need educating they'll have you believing their products is the best stuff on earth. In the paint class I went to last month, nobody there used their clear and nobody liked it. Oh but it's this and that and so much better than other clears. Yeah sure, whatever you say salesmen. I liked the salesmen to further understand current products we were using but just don't expect honest advice. you'd get more honest advice on the internet and seeing what other guys are saying, guys that don't get kickbacks for sales. Unless these SPI thugs are named Barry, Barry, and Barry, that's a good indication there's something good about that product and worth a shot because there's no incentive for them to say that.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Something about being a rep or in sales is that your customers will figure out if one is full of BS.. When I had my business I had several different lines of paint and sundries an most of them I had tried or used myself so I knew what worked for what and what did not.. So if a customer came in I directed him to the product or material that would work for what he had in mind..Now some of them just wanted to paint it and others were after the perfect job so it became a matter of using the product or material appropriate to the job.. What a guy may use in a production detailing shop doing used cars will be different than the guy doing high dollar restorations and for that matter a guy painting equipment and tractors needs materials that work for that job.

It becomes a task for the sales guy and the customer to determine just what they are doing and get the proper materials and tools on the job..

Sam
Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
the problem I have with these sales reps is that you realize certain brands have certain things that are good, but unless you are 3m your brand isn't consistently good across the board. You won't hear a sales rep for Norton sandpaper go, "yeah but for the 1500 grit and up you should go 3M". At the end of the day they are salesmen and I just don't trust them. If you need educating they'll have you believing their products is the best stuff on earth. In the paint class I went to last month, nobody there used their clear and nobody liked it. Oh but it's this and that and so much better than other clears. Yeah sure, whatever you say salesmen. I liked the salesmen to further understand current products we were using but just don't expect honest advice. you'd get more honest advice on the internet and seeing what other guys are saying, guys that don't get kickbacks for sales. Unless these SPI thugs are named Barry, Barry, and Barry, that's a good indication there's something good about that product and worth a shot because there's no incentive for them to say that.
Funny stuff, I cut no BS when I was a rep, the customer WILL see thru it for goodness sakes. Plus, it simply isn't the RIGHT thing to do. You want to hear a funny one, I had a customer who swore by some Dupont product he had used, I forget what it was. But it was something that he could use with the S-W paint line he bought from me. I went to a Dupont store and bought the product he wanted and gave it to him. LOL I did what was RIGHT for the customer end of story, what ever was RIGHT.

The one thing I learned as a rep was that no paint company has everything that they can walk into a shop with and perform magic, they are all VERY similar and each company has a product line that can work for most any shop. That being said when I walked into a shop I sure as hell didn't have something that would blow away what that other company had to offer. The difference is, I would provide them with the system that did it, just as the other paint companies rep could do IF he had done it! But he wasn't there to help his customer so I did it!

Brian
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

I think one thing that makes a big difference in any business, is when someone realizes that all ANY person or company has to offer is customer service. Yes, you may have a special skill set, or a product you offer, but either is useless and will not get you anywhere without good customer service. You can be the best painter in the world and have a bad attitude, and not take care of your customers, and it won't be long before you have no work. Same if you have the best product in the world, without good customer service, you will be out of business in a short period of time. You can run the highest quality shop in the world, but if you don't take care of your customers. you'll be sweeping an empty bay. My point is, no matter what you sell, or provide, good customer service is the ONLY thing you have to offer that they can't find everywhere else. That is what will set you apart from the rest. JMHO

Kelly
Old 05-03-2014, 04:24 PM

I had the evercoat rep in the shop the other day. He is a no BS kind of guy. He was showing me their 2 part seamsealers. I am currently using SEM.

He did not bad mouth SEM or 3m once. He even admitted that theirs is around the same price as SEM...wasn't trying to sell it as cheaper.

He never said "ours is better" yadda yadda yadda. He just asked me if I wanted to seem them and I said yea. He brought out both the heavy bodied and control flow.

I liked the heavy bodied and ordered a tube for the next job.

The product does the selling...not the guy running his mouth.

I normally don't give sales reps the time of day but I have met the guy before so I knew I wasn't going to get sold a line.

Good salesmen are hard to come by these days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in