Painting hood, panel and primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Painting hood, panel and primer

Greets to all. I'd like to try repainting my old car myself and I've been gathering lots of info on bodywork procedures and painting. I don't own a hotrod but I really enjoy reading this forum very much. The wealth of knowledge I have gained from the pros in here is great and I've learned quite a lot. Still have a few things about bodyworrk and paint which I'm not clear and I would appreciate your input and advice.
First, I need to repaint the hood on my car that is factory base/clear. Clear coat is weathered all off. Do I need to absolutely sand off the factory pimer completely to metal and then paint new primer? The factory primer still has excellent adhesion, so why not keep it on and just sand off the base coat? If it's okay to keep it, should I cover it with 2K pimer, or should a primer sealer be used instead? I'll be filling a very easy slight ding on this panel as well.

Lastly, another panel is just starting to peel the clear coat in a small area about 2 sq inch. Do I feather that area and prime the panel with the same primer I'll use on the hood? Thanks for any tips and suggestions you can provide.
Jrseeke

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,207 Posts
Ahoy. Lots of normal body shop work involves removing finishes like that and reusing the original primer. Some can be pressure washed to an extent and / or peeled with a razor blade. If not, sanding always works. If you find the base primer under the weathered areas unfaded and it featheredges as nicely there as where it still had clear, I say leave it there if it does not wipe off with lacquer thinner. If it does, proceed to bare metal.

If you can leave an almost unbroken film of it but sand it well, a 2K urethane primer-surfacer would be OK and thats all you'd need before color. They don't stick to bare metal real well but your tiny repair sounds alright. If you have bare metal spots bigger than a quarter, you better just knock off all the primer in the bad areas and use a 2K direct-to-metal primer such as an epoxy.

I don't like using anything that does not have a catalyst except basecoat color. 2K urethane primer-sealer is fine on undamaged areas mixed as a sealer, and over repairs as a surfacer. The very best thing you can do is to find out what product lines are available to you locally then research the technical data sheets available on the manufacturer's website. We can help you better once you have something in mind, and pics help too.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Thank you idrive. I appreciate the good info and your help very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrseeke For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (07-24-2017)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in