Painting scratches - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2018, 08:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Painting scratches

I touched up a spot that was over a deep scratch and the touch up paint stickes out more than the rest of the paint (like you can feel it when you run your fingernail across it) and I was wondering how to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 PM

]I touched up a spot that was over a deep scratch and the touch up paint stickes out more than the rest of the paint (like you can feel it when you run your fingernail across it) and I was wondering how to get rid of it. I haven’t applied clear coat and the spot is about the size of half of a dollar bill. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
They only way you can is to sand it flat and buff it.

But let me go a different direction, it's a "brush touch" and it's not perfect, brush touch it and move on forgetting about it. If you wanted to fix it perfect you would sand it out and prime it and spray the part, done deal. But if you don't want to do that, you brush touch it and forget about it. Most people won't see that brush touch, it's gone to them.

Decide how much you really want to do here, does it really need to be perfect?

Brian

Old 03-26-2018, 06:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
It depends on what kind of paint you used. If it was a base coat you can lightly wipe off the excess with lacquer thinner leaving the paint in the scratch, press too hard and you'll take the paint out of the scratch also.
assuming the color is a good match, that is. also, Ive seen scratches that needed the panel replaced so its hard to say but if its actually a scratch you get a very fine brush and try just to fill the scratch without getting the paint on both sides of it. you want to brush on a few coats, filling the scratch, and wiping off the excess.
I never know what to expect when someone says its just a scratch.
Usually that means they did it because if someone else did the same scratch it turns out to be, OMG!!! its totaled!!! The whole car will need to be painted.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,714 Times in 4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
It depends on what kind of paint you used. If it was a base coat you can lightly wipe off the excess with lacquer thinner leaving the paint in the scratch, press too hard and you'll take the paint out of the scratch also.
assuming the color is a good match, that is. also, Ive seen scratches that needed the panel replaced so its hard to say but if its actually a scratch you get a very fine brush and try just to fill the scratch without getting the paint on both sides of it. you want to brush on a few coats, filling the scratch, and wiping off the excess.
I never know what to expect when someone says its just a scratch.
Usually that means they did it because if someone else did the same scratch it turns out to be, OMG!!! its totaled!!! The whole car will need to be painted.
LOL, It's like the difference between a "dent" and a "ding".....It depends on who's fault it was. LOL

Not beating you up tigers, just being in this business a little while tells you this, and it's just being human, not evil or something.

Good point on the tips there DBM, I wasn't even thinking about it being a bc/cc paint, pretty hard to do anything too because it changes color when you put clear on it. And if you haven't had the joy of working with waterborne, HOLY CRAP the color is 700 miles different before you put clear on it! Brush touching with it is a total waste of time!

Brian
Old 03-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

I have buffed out a brush scratch after touching it up with the kind of touchup paint you can get at the parts store.. Still not perfect but most people would never notice..

Another good reason to avoid show cars for me..

Sam
MARTINSR (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:33 PM

What DBM said about wiping off the excess. Another thing is to wrap a smooth rag (T shirt type rag) one layer around a stirring stick, then just damp/dry with mild solvent (w&g remover comes to mind) and using the stick flat on the surface, wipe the excess off with one stroke, mabe two or three if it's dried some. If it's single stage, just let it dry, sand flat, and rub it up.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in