Patching Advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Patching Advice

Looking for any good tips, On my 66 Nova Ive currently got the quarter panel off and Im wanting to fill and get rid of the stock antenna hole. Im planning on placing a piece of sheet matal under it and tacking it in anf filling the hole with weld and smoothing it out? Is this a good method.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

That is a good way to do it. Any pin holes in the welds or grinding marks or whatever can be smoothed up with a little spot putty.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

Depending on the size hole,I have used "knockout's",the round slug for the conduit connectors,from metal electric box'x for patchs. I've done what your talking about and used a fiber strand type filler to fill it with but now that I'm a better welder,I prefer to make things fit and butt weld. You can tack a piece of mig wire to hold it up with or a stud from a stud welder. Magnets work too but you have to be carefull and remove them quickly as the welding will ruin them.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:08 PM

why even risk ruining a fender by welding????

just cut a sheet metal backing patch about 1" bigger than the hole and "panel bond adhesive" it in place on the inside of the fender...

be just a bit generous with the adhesive and let it ooze onto the exposed side, smear it around to level it some....
the glue is totally water tight once cured to protect the patch and does sand to be a first filler layer....

then just a skim coat of regular filler to fill/blend all into the fender....
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59FLEETSIDE
Looking for any good tips, On my 66 Nova Ive currently got the quarter panel off and Im wanting to fill and get rid of the stock antenna hole. Im planning on placing a piece of sheet matal under it and tacking it in anf filling the hole with weld and smoothing it out? Is this a good method.
That method would be likely to get too much heat into the metal and cause a warp or blowthrough ,,,,, Much better to but weld one in or use one of the other methods outlined..

Sam
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,166 Times in 4,499 Posts
I say, if you have the skills and tools to weld a quarter on, you certainly have the skills and tools to weld a plug in that ant hole!

Use a piece of the old quarter panel, same thickness metal, easier to weld.

You could "plug" weld it in by putting the patch under it, tacking it in place and then weld it up solid around the seam. Then fill it with a good filler.

OR, put your patch under it, then scribe around the edge with a sharp scribe. Then cut the patch out on that line, put it in holding it with a magnet or clamp and tack it in place. Weld SHORT beads letting it cool a LONG time between welds until the whole seam is welded up.

Of course, once you learn to control heat and work metal you would weld it and work the metal long the way. But if you aren't experianced, weld short welds and let it COOL a LONG time between welds so you don't warp the metal.

Brian
Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,166 Times in 4,499 Posts
Oh yeah, and another thing is most adhesives "don't like" filler. So filling over them is going to open the door for failure. If you epoxy prime over it, then filling with body filler is ok.

Brian
Old 11-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Brian is correct....

some of the panel bond adhesives are epoxy base, some are acrylic base and the single part adhesives are mostly urathane base so there can be a compatibility problem with direct filler application...
(read the specific tech sheets for that specific glue)

here's a link to some "how to" video's to better explain the procedure:
http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...3/Default.aspx
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Well thanks everyone, I wanst worried about welding as im currently replaceing the skins on both quarters. Im done and is what is did is cut an ecact size plug clamped it on one side and stitch welded my way around the hole. i over filled it and the grinded it down nicely. you cant even tell there was a hole there now. Ill get a pic when my wife tells me where the camera is..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in