Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring questions for BBC
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Piston ring questions for BBC

Hey guys, I have a question I'm hoping I can get some learning and advice from. I built a 454, .030" over, forged internals, roller valvetrain, aluminum heads, roots blower. I have a few hundred miles on the motor, but I've been wanting to put more power into it and start racing it once it gets to be winter time over here (bigger cam, more boost, we got 93 out here plus possibly water methanol injection) but that's not really my question.

My question is I'm wanting to check the gap on my piston rings and expand them a bit more to adjust for more abuse with more boost and weekend racing. So if I were to pull my motor and pull the piston rings out with the motor having a few hundred miles on it, I should get new piston rings preferably? They're a little over $100 so the money isn't a concern I'm just curious from an engine building angle if that's what I *should* do or if you guys think the original rings would be okay, I just keep them in the original cylinders and just gap them a bit more. Also regarding cylinder walls, should I stone hone them with only a few hundred miles of breaking in and street cruising and a few WOT pulls? Or just gapping and reinstalling and bolting it back together wont have any issues? Regarding my current gaps, this is embarrassing but the sheet that had my ring instructions is where I wrote my ring gaps when building the motor is missing. I've went through the box where I kept all instructions and notes when building the car numerous times and cant find it.

Thanks for the help guys, let me know if you need more information