Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring questions for BBC
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
The engine builder I have used since 1970 has a Clayton Dyno and he said he has made less power on his dyno with Total Seal gapless rings than he has made with standard gap rings. He also said the reason for tat was Total Seal gapless rings have more ring flutter at higher RPM.

He did not address the power at lower RPM but power loss with gapless rings is likely negligible in a street driven engine up to 4,000 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
I agree with both previous posts. forget about Total Seal rings, if you don't have precisely the bore finish in Ra, Rk and RMS they can be problematic.

Like chasracer posted, I'd go new rings gapped as you want onto the clean nearly fresh cylinder bores you have. NO new honing is needed nor wanted, the previous set of rings has given you the ideal surface finish, they have scraped all the tops off the micro-peaks in the hone finish.

You'll find Stock and Super Stock racers who will dyno an engine, do their test regimen of xx number of rpm runs, then pull the engine back apart, install new rings and do a fresh valve job...and then it is ready to go in the car.
Perfect thanks for the info guys, yea ill not worry about the gapless stuff. While we're here, is plasma-moly face worth the bit extra money to you guys? What ring material is your preference? Also too on summit there's an option for piston and ring oversize with 0.030" and 0.035" options, since my bore is now 4.280" with the 0.030" machine work, just get the 0.030" correct?