Please help me understand some basics before I get started - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Please help me understand some basics before I get started

Hello everyone Elijah here I'm all new to all this I just bought my first hot rod and was hoping to get a little help with some things I'm having trouble with on it and hopefully learn all I can from every one I can first of all its a 1975 Chevy c10 short bed truck with the stock 350 small block the guy I bought it from told me he installed the biggest cam he could before having to change the springs can someone please tell me what size cam would that be also I am wanting to change the open 12 bolt rear end and put a posi rear end under it but don't know which car or truck to look to in the junk yard for the right one. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 PM

Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,343 Posts
the cam will be a guess at best as everyone thinks a big cam can go under stock springs. can you post a video.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 PM

Well the motor is together and running I drive it every day so don't know how I could take a pic of the cam with out taking it apart any idea or are you just looking to hear the motor running

Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. Hello... welcome... where do you live?

. Can't tell by listening... a power pull in 2nd gear might give some indication of where the powerband RPMs are (if you have a tach)...

. Biggest cam for stock springs could mean using the old original springs... or it could mean new performance springs that still fit in the stock location...

. In any event, even the stock cam was too big for the stock too low compression ratio of those 1975 engines and so there is little to no gain from a bigger cam... just more RPMs at less torque...

. Best bang for the performance buck is a set of inexpensive generic headers and true dual 2 1/2" or 3" exhaust pipes/mufflers... (assume it has 4 bbl. carb.)

. Next would be some new pistons to fix the compression ratio... called 8 or 8.5:1, but actually about only 7.6:1... need to bump it to about 9.5:1... also get the cam spec.s while in there...

. If have stock single exhaust, you're currently operating at about 125-175 HP... the mods outlined above bump you up to about 325-350 HP... an improvement you can definitely feel... also more MPG (a bonus)...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 03-31-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

It is possible to get some idea of what cam is in there, but will take a good mechanic with a dial indicator, and a degree wheel. Measurements taken at the intake/exhaust rocker arms will tell total lift, and the degree wheel will give an approximation of when it's happening. After that's all done, it still wont be exact, but if it's important to you, it can get close.
I'd probably just start by doing the upgrades BuzzLOL listed, and not get too hung up on figuring out exactly what cam is in it.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:52 AM

About the camshaft, I would say that if you like the way the truck runs, you do not need to worry about what camshaft the engine has!

I cannot help you with your limited-slip rear question...
Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. Most of those trucks will have an open rear, kinda hit or miss to find a posi one... just have to jack up one rear wheel, put tranny in neutral, and see if you can turn the wheel easily by hand... may have to simply buy a clutch type posi unit for it...

. You didn't tell us the main use for the truck, so hard to say what size cam you're looking at...

. My first guess would be the guy put this 204/214 cam in it:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1102

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LPlbVG93JU

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in