Please share if this will work?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Please share if this will work??

The picture shows a single tabbed sender .Am thinking~~ correct me if i am wrong, please.This will screw right into my ZZ3 sbc,It will control the off/and on of the new electric fan.I was thinking 2 tabbed connections, but then i am getting 12 volts -to start the fan as the engine warms up.The sensor--- "body" being a completed circuit?thank you~~~~ bob s

ps;or i can go get a 2 tabbed sensor.????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	single tab sensor sbc 001.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	449413  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 11:15 AM

Which relay kit should i buy

I have my Electric fan installed today -by me.. Not sure which kit or ...what,----i need. Any help is always appreciated;Deraile seems to be dominating- Summit. But what parts do i buy? i have lots of relays.I suppose it depends on a number of things.please help.any tips??you can offer.So i know whats next on my installation. I used a relay in one kar i built, Do i really need a relay? some say yes others??????thats why i am here Please get me on the right path cheers bob s
Old 11-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Many electric fans draw 40 amps or more, and if you did not use a relay all switches and wiring must be sized to handle the full amperage of the fans. The switches will cost more and the wiring is larger gauge running everywhere. You may not even be able to find a temp switch with that rating.

The primary contacts of a relay are rated to handle 40 amps (or whatever the specs say), so you use them to control the on/off of the fans. All wiring that is connected to those contacts must be able to support the full amperage of the fan. The secondary contacts of the relay only need 1-2 amps to actuate the relay, so your temp switch and other wiring would only need to handle a small amperage. Its a much easier wiring and control setup. Bottom line - you want to use a relay.

The single terminal temp switches usually have the body grounded to the block (by being threaded in), so that completes the circuit when 12 volts is applied to the single terminal. A two terminal switch probably has power and ground terminals, which would not rely on the engine ground. Most OEM temp switches for older engines are single terminal.

Since you don't seem to be completely comfortable with wiring the new fan, you might want to use a simple controller like this one and just follow the directions. Hayden and other companies make similar kits. https://www.amazon.com/Derale-16749-...1VQGXS3773ARYK

Bruce

Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,657 Times in 2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
Many electric fans draw 40 amps or more, and if you did not use a relay all switches and wiring must be sized to handle the full amperage of the fans. The switches will cost more and the wiring is larger gauge running everywhere. You may not even be able to find a temp switch with that rating.

The primary contacts of a relay are rated to handle 40 amps (or whatever the specs say), so you use them to control the on/off of the fans. All wiring that is connected to those contacts must be able to support the full amperage of the fan. The secondary contacts of the relay only need 1-2 amps to actuate the relay, so your temp switch and other wiring would only need to handle a small amperage. Its a much easier wiring and control setup. Bottom line - you want to use a relay.

The single terminal temp switches usually have the body grounded to the block (by being threaded in), so that completes the circuit when 12 volts is applied to the single terminal. A two terminal switch probably has power and ground terminals, which would not rely on the engine ground. Most OEM temp switches for older engines are single terminal.

Since you don't seem to be completely comfortable with wiring the new fan, you might want to use a simple controller like this one and just follow the directions. Hayden and other companies make similar kits. https://www.amazon.com/Derale-16749-...1VQGXS3773ARYK

Bruce

X2 on this Bob. I understand you and electrical are not exactly best friends, so if you can budget for something like this, it would help you immensely.

If not, there are a ton of wiring diagrams by simply googling:

https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...w=1280&bih=584

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in