Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Polished Aluminum Wheels (First Set)
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

GOOGLE: SHARKHYDE
Its what our local fire dept uses to seal aluminum; it does alter the appearance slightly. Another option is a clear epoxy paint or clear powdercoat.
I'd prefer the clear powdercoat. Your problem is going to be the abraisiveness of salt, it will literally sand off most coatings. Pam, Wax, Sharkhyde...its just going to get ground off. And then the aluminum oxidizes.
For the price of these coatings and waxes...go to the junkyard and get 4 steel rims or buy them on craigs, FB, whatever.

I get all my polishing/buffing materials from Caswell Plating. I bought their aluminum polishing kit 10yrs ago and still have half a bar of fine polishing compound and several of their flannel buffing wheels and cones left. For simple stuff, Magic Mix sold by Valco is amazing stuff and its easy to buff off. Wax? I like Meguiars NXT Tech wax (liquid). Pam and things like it is mostly foodgrade silicone and butter flavoring.
However, a lot of painters will tell you that spraying silicone or using the silicone-laced touchup waxes can be an absolute bear with creating fish-eyes in fresh paint (I dont spray those products in my garage, always outside for that reason).

Eric's Plasti-dip suggestion is great if you can't get steel wheels (or junker aluminum ones).