POR15 tie coat primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

POR15 tie coat primer

Just had some questions about painting epoxy primer over POR15.

To start off the body was media blasted but I was unable to get at some of the underside so I decided to use POR15 in there. I have it sprayed on now and I'm gonna hit it with the POR15 primer now then my plan was to coat the entire underside with an epoxy primer and then finally Lizard Skin heat and sound deadener. How's my plan so far???

Do I have to wait until the POR15 is cured before spraying the tie coat?

Also one thing I can't find is after the POR15 primer how long do I wait until spraying the epoxy, I thought I read 24 hours somewhere but now I can't find it. Any input would be great.

I know some of you don't recommend POR15 but I couldn't get at these parts .

Thanks,
Sean

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Google POR-15 first and go to their website.

There are detailed instructions there.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM

Yea I read all kinds of stuff but it never answered when to put the primer on.

I called the rep today and he said to put the tie-coat on within 2-6 hours otherwise you have to scuff it up. Now I'm letting the tie-coat dry 24 hours and he said then I can shoot the epoxy primer on it. I just have the hard to reach parts POR15'ed so now the entire underside will get the epoxy primer and the Lizard skin. We'll see how it works, I really don't want to do this again.

Sean

Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgo70
Yea I read all kinds of stuff but it never answered when to put the primer on.

I called the rep today and he said to put the tie-coat on within 2-6 hours otherwise you have to scuff it up. Now I'm letting the tie-coat dry 24 hours and he said then I can shoot the epoxy primer on it. I just have the hard to reach parts POR15'ed so now the entire underside will get the epoxy primer and the Lizard skin. We'll see how it works, I really don't want to do this again.

Sean
Hmmmm...
They used to have a step by step tutorial for the entire process in one of the sections on that website.

The instructions you have are good, but I thought you may do better if you see it.

If you check the history on this forum there are a lot of posts here about POR 15.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've been searching all over and couldn't find any answers to the time frame to apply the primer. Now I'm wondering if after leaving it for 24hours should I scuff it before applying the epoxy. Again I think I read not to but can't find it again, guess I'll have to call them again and post my results.

Kinda wish I had read about Zero Rust before I bought the POR15.

Sean
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM

I understand completely.

Zero rust is a much easier to use product.

You are going to have a hard time scuffing that stuff.

I would lay that primer down ASAP.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Car Nut

Inside rockers?

What have you guys done to the insides of rocker panels and other areas that are not accessible once rust repair is completed and the areas are once again out of site? You really cannot paint them prior to welding with anything like POR15 and once the area is closed how do you paint?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ Cruiser Guy
What have you guys done to the insides of rocker panels and other areas that are not accessible once rust repair is completed and the areas are once again out of site? You really cannot paint them prior to welding with anything like POR15 and once the area is closed how do you paint?

I have not purchased POR-15 in a couple of years now.

I still have a couple of gallons left that have not been opened.

I use it mostly for Agg. equipment, trailers, and etc..

I have used it on my own vehicles, but most of those were work vehicles where the end result was more utility than show.

I used about a gallon of the stuff on my 1992 Astro van.

I did spray POR-15 inside of the rust holes and various panels before I patched the holes.

I patched the holes with fiberglass, after stuffing a couple pieces of PVC tube into the cavity to make sure the inside area still receives air circulation and drainage.

I did have to use a drill bit to re-open some drain holes at the bottom of the body panels.

I used this van as a test bed of sorts with POR-15, and I was very pleased with how it worked on the sub frame and under the van.

I had a couple of places on the roof that I tested POR-15 on, I wished that I understood the need for special primer and the issue with painting over it before I laid it on, but ladders usually covered that mess up.

By the time I got around to fixing it right, I was ready to give up on the van.

The van had over 300,000 miles on it and the electrical system was shot and it was thoroughly warn out.

I sold it for $600 to a guy who ran it into a fence and totaled it.

I got to examine my work after than with the van flipped on it's side in the salvage yard and I was impressed with the way that the POR-15 held up.

The front subframe was crushed on the passenger side, but the POR-15 did not even flake. It was bonded.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in