A-Post / Door Jamb Fabrications Question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcygan View Post
I'm so thankful for all of the support and suggestions. Yesterday I finished making the driver's side hammerform and I will be adding 14 gauge sheet metal on all of the top surfaces to help prevent damage and deterioration to the wooden edges. I ordered a 4' x 4' sheet of 14 gauge steel yesterday and it will be ready to pick up on Monday. I have already made a template to use with my plasma cutter to cut the top piece. The templates for the other steps will be made shortly. I'm planing on making the clamping blocks today.
That is looking AWESOME!
You are very lucky you can buy the 4'x4' sheet. I have nowhere near me that I can do that, I have to buy a 4'x8'. Other than little 12x24 inch ones at the hardware store, I have to buy the friggin 4x8 feet. I couldn't believe this as one of the places I use to go for years and get any size I wanted, they stopped doing that for customers, so I had to get the 4x8, crap.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

I agree with thinner metal. Thicker stuff is way stubborn to take shape. I think the tools to use here are corking tools? I think that's the name. Just custom chisel type tools with polished heads that mimic the shape or wall on the buck you're hammering down onto. Delron plastic shaved to shape work well for finishing.

As you asked questions about making a jamb, I'm wondering how you made that buck? Good wood work.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,779 Times in 2,837 Posts
That piece came out nice! How much hammer time would you say will be involved after the process is fully established? If you don't mind and have some idea at this point. Anxious to see the metal pieces added to the wood. I am also curious if you will offer a shorter, less expensive version with less coverage. I am not familiar with the body these are for, but it seems odd to need that whole area. There are probably quite a few parts for other applications whose owners would be real interested in what you are doing, too. Good idea and good work!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Just so everyone knows, this is for a 1938 BMW 327 Cabriolet. There are very few of these cars left and I've been making assorted parts for them like a few body panels, wiring harnesses, cast aluminum parts, rubber parts and of coarse, all of the structural wood for the body. These cars were all built starting with the chassis, then the structural wood was secured to it and then the body panels nailed to the wood. Due to their age and water, most of the wood in these cars is long gone.

Today I did a little bit more tweaking on the hammerforms to add in a curved section at the bottom. I pulled out another original door jamb and discovered remnants of this curve, which is near the bottom where it meets up with the sill. The structural wood in this location goes straight down so I had assumed that the inner flange on the door jamb did the same, but it apparently doesn't.

I may have also found a source for AK steel not too far from me so I'll be calling them on Monday morning to check. I've gotten 19 gauge from them before, but had to buy a minimum of 5 sheets.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcygan For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (03-24-2018), John long (03-24-2018), MARTINSR (03-24-2018)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in