Power Glide won’t engage park fully? (not a shifter detent issue) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Power Glide won’t engage park fully? (not a shifter detent issue)

Is there a quick an easy fix for dummies here? My glide has always been finicky about going into park and woudl pop out of park on occasion.

Recently had it apart for a rebuild (new gear set) and now it’s worse than ever. I can manually crawl under there (shift linkage not attached) ensure its fully forward and 90% of the time I can manually push the car back/forward and hear it “popping” as if it’s trying to hit the detent but can’t quite do it. Occasionally it will catch and slip into park.

The rest of the trans seems fine. My local trans guy acted like this was common when some sort of tab is bent on the linkage. He made it sound like I could pull the pan and “fix it” but didn’t have time to get to my trans for months. Any pictures of what he is talking about? Easy fixes? I’ve looked at several exploded views and don’t’ see anything jumping out at me.

What number an I looking at below? Or is it even pictured?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 05:02 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
There is nothing in that schematic concerning the internal linkage for the shifter detent or the linkage to the parking pawl.

Sounds like your issue is either with the internal link "rooster comb" that has the detents on it, the rod that is attached to the comb and activates the parking pawl, or the spring and plunger on the end of the link that contacts the pawl. Could also be the pawl has been damaged and rounded over.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM

Thanks! I had no clue what I was looking for. After watching a few pawl related videos and seeing how these things work it defiantly sounds like that’s the issue. The pawl is not seating and rides the gear teeth without engaging fully to lock.

Gear set is new, but I had a pretty serious failure with the OEM gear set prior. I’d ASSume the guy that rebuilt it would have noticed any real damage there...but who knows. It’s always been a little finicky, so I hope the spring pressure is just going.

I had heard a few people had success shimming the actuator rod spring deal that pushes the pawl up into place? I might give this a go as I don’t want to pull the trans. Haven’t found a replacement spring so I assume this unit is just replaced as a whole when it gets old?

Anyway to access the pawl itself without pulling trans or VB?

-Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pgpin.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	424249  

Old 05-08-2018, 08:36 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
I think the park pawl and related pieces can be accessed without removing the valvebody, but it has been a while since I've been in one and don't have one right in front of me. If there is any piece blocked by the valvebody, it will be just the pawl itself, everything else you can easily get to. Of course, not the gear on the shaft, LOL.

Could be the spring loaded plunger is just not being moved far enough in travel, check for a bent link point at the shift shaft/rooster comb.

The spring on the plunger is basically there as an override to prevent binding if the pawl is up on top of a gear tooth when the selector lever is put into park. When the pawl is on top of a tooth, the plunger is forced back into the spring, preventing binding ot breaking the pawl or the gear. When the shaft rotates a little farther, the spring/plunger is exerting force to push the pawl into a gear slot on the park gear.

Similar to how the override spring on a Holley accelerator pump arm prevents bending the arm or bursting the pump diaphragm..
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Will do, I’m sure it will be alot clearer once I get the pan off and can see in there. I wasn’t going to bother if I Couldn’t access it is all. I can live without park for a season.

-thanks!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:46 AM

Bent or broke the rooster comb, or stripped the splines.
Butch/junior stocker.
The Following User Says Thank You to junior stocker For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Global Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: 1962 Morris Minor 1000
Wiki Edits: 1659

I built a race glide today. Snapped a photo with the pan off. This is what you see of the linkage with the valve body on the case.

The linakage guide plate: held on with 2 bolts, can be removed and You will see a bit more of the rooster comb and linkage.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in