Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - PPG epoxy failing
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 06:51 AM

Last journal entry: 1969 Camaro
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfender View Post
I am a hot rod shop out of GA and have used PPG for over 30 years with no real problems till lately. The DP epoxy line that we have all used forever is failing me, before the LF or lead free label hit the can it would stick to plate glass around probably around 1998 after that it had to have more cure time before top coat which as of late is at least 24 hrs. But now even at that will pull loose from sandblasted metal, bondo, plastics and sanded metal. I'm even seeing cars at shows where this seems to be a problem any one else experience this as well ???
Thanks for the reply's to this issue I would not be so much aggravated if it was a new product or had some changed conditions. the metal was sand blasted but have tried 100 grit as well . I'm seeing that you have to let sit 3 days to guarantee adhesion "don't have that long all the time" it is my belief that the DP doesn't dry like it used to and the K36 Dries so much faster and harder with a lot of shrink rate probably as much as 20% using mix cup test and just pulls it out of gaps.