Prepping an E coated hood - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: GTO Reproduction Hood
Wiki Edits: 0

I want to spray it soon. Might be able to get it done this weekend coming up.

I just need a hand getting it back off of the car, now that I have checked the fit.And a little time to prep it of course.

Gotta round up a buddy of mine to help.Then I will set it up and shoot a few coats of epoxy on it .

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I was thinking the same thing to begin with. If some "surfacing" is needed then a few coats of epoxy can be sanded and then painted without fear of cutting through like the thin E-coat is all I can think.

Brian
Where in the world did you hear THAT from? Its the cheapest crap they can find
have you ever seen a hood that was put on a car and never painted have you ever seen what happens to it.
Think about for a second, you buy a cheap aftermarket hood from China, the metal is thinner than even the thin metal that was on the car, Do you really think they are going to use a good quality primer?
A factory panel has pretty good primer on it, not great though, and very thin, we've all seen how well THAT primer holds up. Now, since it sands off with a light touch of a sander I prefer to be safe with something I care about and get that "questionable" primer off and put something I KNOW is good on there.
I too have scuffed and shot cheap aftermarket parts but only on insurance work and cheap jobs.
I prefer to do a quality job and sanding that off is a sure way to get there and since it only takes about 15 - 30 minutes its certainly going to get done then blocked and filled because they also are NEVER straight enough either. but that's me I like things as nice as I can get them not just do what I have to to get something done and paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
I want to spray it soon. Might be able to get it done this weekend coming up.

I just need a hand getting it back off of the car, now that I have checked the fit.And a little time to prep it of course.

Gotta round up a buddy of mine to help.Then I will set it up and shoot a few coats of epoxy on it .
It really don't matter how long you wait as long as the hood don't start rusting That's all that crap primer is supposed to do. calling it primer is a bit of a stretch compared to real epoxy primer. BTW, Ecoat is nothing magical, its just the method of application. theres cheap ecoat that aren't worth a crap (ALL aftermarket panels) and better quality (factory applied) if it isn't a quality factory part it isn't a quality primer and should come off . You'll see as soon as the sandpaper touches the surface, how ez it comes off.
A good example is the UV protection, if they are too cheap to put that in then how can you trust it? and How the hell can it be the best in the world??? My epoxy HAS UV protection and it TRUELY is the BEST, That I've ever used.
Hey Brian and IDJ, what brand of epoxy do you use maybe I'm missing out on something. I'M always willing to learn something new.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,209 Posts
The last time I used epoxy on my car, it was Lesonal. The same brand as the basecoat color. A more relevant question might be what brand is LATECH using.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

PPG shopline .J375 gray. It covers well. already sandable after 1 day. Sprays nice so ...

What I am using for filler is RAGE ULTRA. WOW. Is that stuff fine. It is like cake frosting. Sands great. There is a bit of a learning curve over other filler (when applying)

I will get the hang of it. I have dabbled in bodywork before but never got serious, so this is my first whole car project.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
The last time I used epoxy on my car, it was Lesonal. The same brand as the basecoat color. A more relevant question might be what brand is LATECH using.
Not at all, really. I just thought I could learn something new about good quality epoxy primers that aren't overpriced. Guess not.
What does "same brand" as the base coat have to do with the epoxy.

L.A. I post a lot about epoxy primer because its THE most important part of a quality job. You want a good solid foundation to build on and not have it fail after you've spent a bunch of time and money. You've been a member long enough to know what epoxy to use if you choose to buy shopline all I can say is, its your labor and money.
leaving that e coated unknown primer is a chance for a problem to occur sanding it off is a sure way NOT to have that happen regardless of what the production shop guys say. Here's a good rule to remember when using aftermarket panels
If the panel says "made in China" sand the primer off its not good quality.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I Know DB . I see you post about SPI being the best. I am not doubting your opinion. No doubt your opinion is based on the facts that you have used it and had great results.

I dont know. I did ask 2 very good bodymen here where I live (who both own there own shops) and I know them well enough and have seen their work to know that it is good.Both have a classic or two of their own and ,of course, they both look killer.
They both use shopline, by PPG and always have great results that last.

Not saying SPI isnt the best. It may very well be. I was going to buy SPI but decided to buy local at the Platinum PPG store where the body guys get theirs.

The fellers at the paint store are helpful, and the one guy (who helped me the most) lives not to far and said he would come over to my house if need be to help if I had trouble. I didnt expect that.

But I bought PPG cause the other body guys said its good. I think It covers and builds pretty well, but then I am not a pro so .......

I guess, mostly, I went with the PPG because of the convenience to buy local as well as a good rapport from the local Guys.

I am not hurrying the process as I work on the car. I am sure to follow tech sheets, procedures, sanding properly etc.

BTW, have you ever had a finish fail because of a poor quality E coat?
Not trying to be flip, just trying to get the facts.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks to IDJ and MartinSr. too .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in