Preserve Patina - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Last journal entry: Patina Willys 1951 1 Ton 4x4 Super Hurricane 6
Wiki Edits: 0

Preserve Patina

It appears as though the clear coat is looked down on by many; park it inside? What are there other opinions?
I kind of like it in its present state; how do you suggest I keep it there?
Sorry; been try to post picture for too long, untrainable, will impose on the grandson when he visits this fall.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor

Welcome to Hotrodders. Preserving "Patina" has been discussed quite a bit... Here are some links to those threads for ya:

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/old-...ina-95088.html

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/clea...ce-244602.html

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best...na-182750.html
Old 05-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Good timing. I was just at one of our major shows this morning, with 451 cars there, and saw a number of shiny clear-coated "patina jobs".

I am also currently doing a complete "patina" paint job on a '40 Ford pickup for a customer right now.The one I am working on is in a flat clear, and has the right look.

My unbiased opinion... after 50 years in the car hobby is this...

DO NOT USE A GLOSSY CLEAR!!! That looks ridiculous!!! Any believability is totally GONE when the car is shiny! {:-(

Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires

The only thing you should have to do is make sure it is kept clean so whenever it does get wet there will be nothing that holds moister next to the body. The worst thing for metal is when it doesn't get a chance to dry.

Rust oxide can actually create it's own barrier to moister. This is why you will see many large transmission line poles that aren't painted. If they were painted they would have to constantly keep the paint up. The metal will actually last a long time in this situation as it can dry quickly when it gets wet. There is very little degradation by rust.

Now this wouldn't be the best thing if you drove in the winter where there was salt on the roads. But if you keep the car clean and make sure all the weather stripping is good so if you do wash it the carpet doesn't get wet (which will hold moister creating rust) you should be good for quite a few years. Look at all the old cars sitting in the junk yards. I have a few here at home myself that have never been parked inside. I'm sure the outside body panels will be good for a long time before they even come close to rusting through.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
....Rust oxide can actually create it's own barrier to moister. This is why you will see many large transmission line poles that aren't painted. If they were painted they would have to constantly keep the paint up. The metal will actually last a long time in this situation as it can dry quickly when it gets wet. There is very little degradation by rust....
FWIW... The transmission lines you are referring to are made from Cor-Ten steel, also known as "Weathering Steel" that is specifically designed not to be painted. Weathering steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeroadster For This Useful Post:
64SS327 (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires

I've heard of Cor-Ten although I don't know anything about it or that they used it in the construction of the transmission line poles. I do stand by the statement that metal with surface rust can last a very long time even if it gets wet. It just need to be kept out of a humid environment and kept clean as to not hold moisture.

It looks like even the Cor-Ten isn't completely susceptible to corrosion in a humid environment.

Quote:
Using weathering steel in construction presents several challenges. Ensuring that weld-points weather at the same rate as the other materials may require special welding techniques or material. Weathering steel is not rustproof in itself. If water is allowed to accumulate in pockets, those areas will experience higher corrosion rates, so provision for drainage must be made. Weathering steel is sensitive to humid subtropical climates. In such environments, it is possible that the protective patina may not stabilize but instead continue to corrode.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
I do stand by the statement that metal with surface rust can last a very long time even if it gets wet. It just need to be kept out of a humid environment and kept clean as to not hold moisture.
And I would agree with the following caveat: Where a fella lives will have a huge impact on the true definition of "a very long time".

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in