PROBLEM with Monroe shocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2018, 06:49 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Wiki Edits: 0

PROBLEM with Monroe shocks

Ordered them from summit for the front of my 62 buick and they dont even come close to fitting. under the description listed for the part at rock auto, they are a dead on match, however the part i got from them as well as the part i got from Gabriel are the same, and are MUCH SMALLER in every dimention and will never fit.. i have a question into summit about this, if they can open the box first before they send it. btw summit's phone customer service and tech are now g a half an hour on the phone waiting for them to answer. HOWEVER, they are being AWESOME once i went from tech back to sales, and they are going to open the box up and measure the T bar before they send me two new ones. hopefully they fit.

specs: Lower Mounting Description Cross Pin Mount - Open Ended, 3/8" Hole ID (Both Ends) X 3.3/16" Pin Length (Hole Center to Center)

actual size, holes about 5/16s, total length of T bar 3 inches, i'll show a pic

i have sent them back already, no problems with that. and currently back on the blower with them waiting to see if they can open these up. by the time that happens, my edit option will have times out. so just assume i'll be back with a second post on this. keep in mind monroe closed three hours ago, and it is after 6pm pst on a friday. they are back on the phone telling me they are going to look for this. so im happy as i can get. i got to say that other than waiting forever to get thru to anybody, eventually you do and summit did great. hopefully i'll be getting a phone call back when they find them and i actually hear my phone ring. ps the monre oe pn i want is 5759
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BUICK SHOCKS.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	433393  

Advertisement

Last edited by bullheimer; 07-27-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

I had to replace the unknown brand air shocks on my '37.
I measures what I had and the mounting configuration and went on the Monroe site.
Under 'tech specs' you can see a pic that shows mounting configuration and will give you all the measurements. I searched all the air shock pics until I found the matching configuration and measurements!
You can put in your vehicle info to find measurements and see if the # you have is correct for your car.
Or enter the part # to get the fitment application and measurements.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer View Post
Ordered them from summit for the front of my 62 buick and they dont even come close to fitting.
I went through this same problem with KYB shocks for the front of my 67 Delta 88. Bottom line is that apparently ALL the shock manufacturers now incorrectly sell the smaller A-body shocks as also fitting the B/C-body cars. The trick is to check the applications. If the shock claimed to fit your full size is also shown as fitting an A-body, it will not work. I sent the following photos to KYB explaining the problem. They said that they'd look into it. Fortunately I did not hold my breath. There just aren't enough of these full size cars on the road any more for the shock manufacturers to care.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

You can call the tech line at QA-1 as I have found those guys to be helpful in one of these predicaments.

Sam
Old 07-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

While you should't HAVE to replace the cross bar pins to make a shock work if the manufacturer says they fit, you can get these cross bar pins for $4 apiece from Jegs with 3.14" hole spacing.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Skyjacker/825/BP18/10002/-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
Bob37pont (07-29-2018), kbuhagiar (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

hey thanks for that.

Summits rep has been awesome. she called monroe and sent them the picture i sent her and said they will drop ship me the right ones right from monroe.

here is the email i just got from her:
"Sam,

Was able to get back in touch with the manufacturer, they have plenty shocks available to ship from their Arkansas warehouse. I got in touch with the gentleman I previously spoke to about the quality check of the shocks they have available. He reassured me that the shocks you received from us must have been from older stock produced in April, back when they were made with the wrong cross-pins."

so Bob, you found Air Shocks that fit your rear? i couldn't find anything made specifically for my car. i think my rears are both eye holes top and bottom. what kind of shocks did you end up with for your rear. monroe what p/n?
that said, it doesnt explain how Gabriels were wrong also, and yours too Joe. when at least monroe and gabriel are supposed to manufacture their own product lines.... hmmmm!

Last edited by bullheimer; 08-10-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Quote:
hey thanks for that.

Summits rep has been awesome. she called monroe and sent them the picture i sent her and said they will drop ship me the right ones right from monroe.

here is the email i just got from her:
"Sam,

Was able to get back in touch with the manufacturer, they have plenty shocks available to ship from their Arkansas warehouse. I got in touch with the gentleman I previously spoke to about the quality check of the shocks they have available. He reassured me that the shocks you received from us must have been from older stock produced in April, back when they were made with the wrong cross-pins."

so Bob, you found Air Shocks that fit your rear? i couldn't find anything made specifically for my car. i think my rears are both eye holes top and bottom. what kind of shocks did you end up with for your rear. monroe what p/n?
that said, it doesnt explain how Gabriels were wrong also, and yours too Joe. when at least monroe and gabriel are supposed to manufacture their own product lines.... hmmmm!
Don't hold your breath. So long as they show the same part number fitting both an A-body and a B-body, the shock will be wrong. Those two car lines do NOT take the same shock, thus the problem. I'm curious to hear how this turns out, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

Quote:
I found Monro Max Air MA750 matched what was on the car, both visually & by measurement. Fits 1979-1989 Dodge Diplomat. Mounts with an eye on top & a straight rod on the bottom, looks like it is upside down! I have no idea what bottom plate/bracket was used when the rear was swapped into the car.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Monroe should have a catalog online with dimensions, you can match the old ones up feature by feature. I don't think they have as many shocks out there as they used to have. Or something went amiss if they consolidated the product line at some point.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

so YEA!!!! I GOT MY NEW SHOCKS TODAY AND THEY ACTUALLY ARE THE RIGHT SIZE!!!

summit got Monroe to get with the plan and make the part to fit the cut sheet, and sure enough, i matched them up to the old ones and they are exactly as they are supposed to be.

bob, i'll have to wait till i get more bucks up to try to go back onto their site and match up some air shocks to my bu-yick! would be nice to get it up in back some but truth, i'd LOVE to radius the fender wells instead. but i'm still looking for ANY kind of wheel that will fit these stinkin axles!! if anybody knows looking at this post thru the years, go ahead and clue me in cause it will no doubt be years till i can buy them.

so.... shock problem solved

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in