Is it the product or the painter - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

you guys done on your soapbox? I've done stuff on the car. It all depends on whether the customer pays for it or not, period. Nothing more nothing less. There's plenty of stuff where I have done things I didn't like. It's part of the game. There's plenty of times where we go the distance. It all depends on a customer's budget.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 12:51 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Wifes 79 comeing together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
you guys done on your soapbox? I've done stuff on the car. It all depends on whether the customer pays for it or not, period. Nothing more nothing less. There's plenty of stuff where I have done things I didn't like. It's part of the game. There's plenty of times where we go the distance. It all depends on a customer's budget.
That's the difference I was talking about ? two different worlds LOL You only do what the boss is paid for, you make the same in your payroll from your boss no matter what he tells you to do! A lot of us go over budget in the car owners favor, going the distance to make them happy and doing work we are not payed for!! Its not a game to some of us !! We take pride in the cars we do and look at them as part of us even if its someone elses vehicle! Its funny that way to some of us. I can probably name the people on here that go above and beyond whats on the job order just to meet their standard and pride in their work ethic and finished product! I do and I figure I am not the only guy that thinks that way! I have never said to myself "Hell that's good enough for what he is paying for"

I always put in extra time to get it right!! Even if I lost a little on the final bill ! Its my reputation and integrity going out my shop door (NOT A GAME ) the extra time and detail even if I am not paid for it will bring me business in the future because the owner sees what I did that he didn't order and spreads the word in the community and at shows. A worker under a Boss or owner in a normal shop would be sent packing if he took it on his own to do that!! I put extra time and material in every vehicle I have ever done in my own shops! But only did what was on the order working for a pay check in some one elses shop years ago! I did work for great bosses that went beyond necessary and ordered us to take care of something that wasn't necessary to the job (but those bosses are very rare)!! If I was ordered to do something I didn't like I could pack up and be working in another shop in the same day! (I've done that many times) Right is right, and to stoop to doing something wrong or taking short cuts or doing what I don't like is a blow to my pride and I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it! Maybe its the way I was raised or going in the Marine Corps right out of high school
, But I can't be the only one that thinks like I do ?? I opened my first shop when I was in my 30s on a shoe string, a big 10 car garage with only one months rent on month to month and no down payment and a hand shake and never looked back, it was so easy I couldn't believe it, I pulled customers from the Drag Strips, Car shows, and motorcycle clubs I knew over the years of racing going to shows and Bike runs, And customers from shops I worked in ! They liked me and my attitude and the work I did! And for every vehicle I did I would get 5 wanting the same type work ! I never did collision work or insurance jobs, I was always in the custom, hot rod , speed, and restoration side of the business! All my training was in those fields through apprenticeship programs and engineering classes in collage! I did work my way through collage, after the service, in some of the nastiest shops in the country though

Jester (Chris)

Last edited by painted jester; 10-07-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

that's exactly what I've been doing the entire time I've been in this field. The last two shops I have worked at all took all my procedures and it made DRAMATIC differences in the quality of work, and we're talking shops that do cars that go to the biggest shows. I didn't get no pat in the back. There's something I told myself a long time ago about this trade... If I'm not allowed to fine tune my craft than I don't stick around. The idea is for me is hustle hard to give the times expected but the quality above and beyond. A major reason I'm taking less money to work restoration than to be in an insurance shop where there's not a lot of pride in the work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in