project journals back online, please re-enter updates - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Problems
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 7314

project journals back online, please re-enter updates

The project journals are back in action -- thanks for your patience. Please feel free to place new entries in the journals.

During our project journal database unload/reload, a small amount of journal entry data was corrupted. If you don't see your recent entry, please take a few minutes and re-enter it into the database. If you'd like to reference a recent journal pic, you can go to: https://www.hotrodders.com/journal_photos , and then just click on your userid. From there, you'll see a list of all your uploaded photos. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know it's a pain to re-type text. To prevent even a small loss of data in the future, we've changed the journal database to hourly backups on the server.

We'll be rewriting the journal software from scratch, to incorporate new features and to make for an overall more powerful and robust system. Key features will include a search engine for journal entries, and a method of accommodating multiple project journals for each user, possibly with the use of "sub-journals". If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post in the Site Suggestions and Help forum.

Advertisement

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 05:05 AM

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Wiki Edits: 0

Cool!!! Thanks Jon!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:28 AM

Last journal entry: New Shop lift and Crane

Jon,
I still don't have access to my journal. I'm only able to see the Journal first page. When I click on anyones journal or to see a list of Journals I get the same old error message

Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 AM

Click this: https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...73&action=view

What do you see?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Wiki Edits: 4

Ok, really dumb question, but when I click on the patent directory link, all I get is a list of a lot of numbers. I've tried a few and they contain journal pics, but how do I know which one is mine?? do I have to try all of them?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Roll your cursor over the links to your album or your journal, and you should see a number in the url. Like this:

https://www.hotrodders.com/member.php?u=17988

The number is your specific userid. So, in this case, just click on 00017988 in the list to see all of your photos.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Jon,
This is what I see.
There seems to have been a slight problem with the Hotrodders Bulletin Board database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:44 AM

Clear your browser cache, and re-try the link.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 PM

Jon, I'm pretty sure it's not just a problem with me. Is every body else able to see the project journals?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Wiki Edits: 4

I can see mine just fine

Mike
Old 07-01-2005, 01:17 PM

The journals are definitely getting a lot of new entries and views, so we know at least some people can see them and properly access them. Is there anyone out there getting the same error as Sly's '53 Suburban?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Jon,
I'm not sure if you've done something since my last post but, I'm now able to access the Journals Thanks so much for what you do.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:39 PM

I wish I could take the credit . It sounds like some ISP along the way probably refreshed their cache, so now you're pulling the new version of the journal.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
[. . . snipped . . .]
During our project journal database unload/reload, a small amount of journal entry data was corrupted. If you don't see your recent entry, please take a few minutes and re-enter it into the database. If you'd like to reference a recent journal pic, you can go to: https://www.hotrodders.com/journal_photos , and then just click on your userid. From there, you'll see a list of all your uploaded photos. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know it's a pain to re-type text. To prevent even a small loss of data in the future, we've changed the journal database to hourly backups on the server.
[. . . snipped . . .]
That is something that really burns me up about MySQL. It's a filesystem trying to masquerade as a database management system. No real database system would allow stored data to be corrupted without severe physical damage to the storage media. I hope you'll consider PostgreSQL in the re-write. I know it's not as popular for web stuff as MySQL, but it's a lot more robust, is a true DBMS, and doesn't have as many 'gotchas' as MySQL. (See http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html and http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html ).

I feel better after that rant.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm a little mad at mysql too right now. More mad at myself though. We corrupted a very small amount of data, but in 5 years, it's the most we've ever lost. Now, we're hot-copying the journal tables every hour, and mysqldumping daily. Off-server backups daily, out-of-state backups weekly. And it looks like we'll be doing some offshore backups monthly, either to a third world nation or possibly a Swiss datacenter.

I traced this to a mysqldump problem that looks like it was due to underscores in table names. Seems like the only way to really get a clean backup is to backup, restore from backup, and then check each and every entry. I'm trying to conjure up an automated way to check backup integrity, or maybe just run a complete backup site, something like www.hotrodders-2.com. I would also feel better if there was a "download your journal" link that accompanied each journal. We could download into a MS Word format, or offline HTML pages, text pages, etc. This would enhance data security, and it would allow people to browse their journals offline.

I'll check out PostgreSQL, but no promises. I'm going to have to provide tech support to every site that uses the journal, so I'm looking for something that will be installed on their system by default. I have a good amount of experience in coding software for my own purposes, but coding it for a bunch of different servers looks like it's going to be quite an adventure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in