proportioning valve issue/mystery - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: san francisco CA
Posts: 194
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
That's a 7in booster, (small) usually for under the floor installs. Easy to troubleshoot a bad booster, apply the brake with the motor off.

Holding, start the engine the peddle will move closer to the floor if good, and NOT hit the floor. Stops about 2 inches or so..above the floor board...

Tony is on it, especially if the pedal in all the way on the floor...


If it is going to the floor here is something to look into:
There is a defined adjustment for the MC to booster actuator pin hight or length, and a tool for setting it.


Here is a picture and the instruction for usage .... mine it the 20 dollar version they sold before CNC came along LOL


Pep

yes i got this tool as well
the rod or pin from the booster is adjusted properly

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: san francisco CA
Posts: 194
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because the situation wher im stock is

Mean problem : brake pedal goes to the floor and front caliper dont grab

-The pedal goes to floor engine on even with car on jacks ( that could remove the hypothetic idee of flexing spindke)

- caliper to braket and rotor are square


-I dont have leaks

-Master cylinder is good ( both ports plug i get an dead hard pedal with engine in)

- i get. About 1100 psi at caliper


The things that surprise me is why even a low pedal but 1100 psi caliper dont grabs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 PM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 134
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova View Post
Because the situation wher im stock is

Mean problem : brake pedal goes to the floor and front caliper dont grab

-The pedal goes to floor engine on even with car on jacks ( that could remove the hypothetic idee of flexing spindke)

- caliper to braket and rotor are square


-I dont have leaks

-Master cylinder is good ( both ports plug i get an dead hard pedal with engine in)

- i get. About 1100 psi at caliper


The things that surprise me is why even a low pedal but 1100 psi caliper dont grabs?

Did you measure the pressure with the calipers in the circuit?

The pedal going to the floor while on jack stands is no different than while it's on the ground. It means nothing.
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: san francisco CA
Posts: 194
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes pressure gage at the caliper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 AM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 134
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova View Post
Yes pressure gage at the caliper

I'll try again. Were both the calipers hooked up when you checked the pressure? Like did you put a T in the line? Or did you attach the gauge in place of the caliper?
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:16 AM
rip-tide's Avatar
Magazines have “ISSUES”
 

Last journal entry: Looks good
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 886
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 311 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova View Post

The things that surprise me is why even a low pedal but 1100 psi caliper dont grabs?

Only two things make sense

1 wrong pad, the thickness, brake material
2 rotor and caliper, not a match.

Front disks should have dedicated brake lines, not T-ed, the PV has a port for each.


reference: see bottom of page
https://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.html
Pep

Last edited by rip-tide; 04-25-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rip-tide For This Useful Post:
55 Tony (04-25-2019)
  #67 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: san francisco CA
Posts: 194
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 30
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pressure gage was at the caliper.
I removed the bleeder nipple and connected the gage there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 PM
johnsongrass1's Avatar
Race it, Don't rice it!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbia, Mo
Age: 43
Posts: 6,943
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 104
Thanked 708 Times in 582 Posts
and what were the pressures? all four of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 134
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
Only two things make sense

1 wrong pad, the thickness, brake material
2 rotor and caliper, not a match.

Front disks should have dedicated brake lines, not T-ed, the PV has a port for each.


reference: see bottom of page
https://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.html
Pep

I sure can't think of anything else. Some kind of mismatch of parts at the wheels sounds like a good possibility. Nothing else makes sense.
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 PM
rip-tide's Avatar
Magazines have “ISSUES”
 

Last journal entry: Looks good
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 886
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 311 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I sure can't think of anything else. Some kind of mismatch of parts at the wheels sounds like a good possibility. Nothing else makes sense.

LOL, agree, it's something simple that's for sure, been on service calls customer did everything.

Machine will not start, turn on ....... and never plugged in... oops

Pep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #71 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 AM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 134
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
LOL, agree, it's something simple that's for sure, been on service calls customer did everything.

Machine will not start, turn on ....... and never plugged in... oops

Pep



I went to my uncle's house not once, but three times to remind him that the outlet he is using is dead. I've found many machines turned off, they didn't know they had a power switch.




What do you repair Pep?



After this thread, I may take my vehicles to the shop for brakes!




Why do my posts come up double or triple spaced when I single space lines?
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #72 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 AM
rip-tide's Avatar
Magazines have “ISSUES”
 

Last journal entry: Looks good
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 886
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 16
Thanked 311 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I went to my uncle's house not once, but three times to remind him that the outlet he is using is dead. I've found many machines turned off, they didn't know they had a power switch.




What do you repair Pep?



After this thread, I may take my vehicles to the shop for brakes!




Why do my posts come up double or triple spaced when I single space lines?
I could write a book about that one, field service 1970-2010.


Have a natural talent in troubleshooting and repair, of many things. What I don't know, smart enough and confident in saying, do not have the answer. Will go looking further as in research, and never get answers from a cell phone.. LOL get my drift ?

Reading your post and following the logic. We would be good friends if living in the same town.
First HotRod 56 chevy, pony power, called it the half-breed, 1965

Pep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #73 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 134
Thanked 181 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-tide View Post
I could write a book about that one, field service 1970-2010.


Have a natural talent in troubleshooting and repair, of many things. What I don't know, smart enough and confident in saying, do not have the answer. Will go looking further as in research, and never get answers from a cell phone.. LOL get my drift ?

Reading your post and following the logic. We would be good friends if living in the same town.
First HotRod 56 chevy, pony power, called it the half-breed, 1965

Pep

Sounds like me. Well before my teens I was rewiring lamps and things. Fixing bicycles, lawn mowers ... Did a really hard to do repair on my mom's washing machine. I sometimes find myself spending too much time on something that could be bought for $1
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pin on proportioning valve andybird Suspension - Brakes - Steering 10 04-17-2003 09:48 AM
When is a proportioning valve needed? jpd37 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 03-25-2003 09:42 AM
master cylinder and proportioning valve? curtisstarlight Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 03-18-2003 09:12 AM
S-10 Proportioning Valve TurboS10 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 5 01-03-2003 10:42 AM
adjusting proportioning valve stoke46 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 05-06-2002 08:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.