push button start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

push button start

This is my first post and I am a beginning beginner. I want to put a hidden toggle switch in for the ignition for theft protection and a push button for the starter. I have bought good heavy duty toggle and button but I am not sure how to go about this. Any one have any pointers. THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

I always helps if you tell us the year, model and engine in the vehicle. In some cases its a very easy installation, but with some newer vehicles and anti-theft systems, its a lot harder.

Bruce
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 AM

opps

It's a 73' chevelle malibu limited edition 350/th350

Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

ok, just run a wire from the starter button the S terminal on the solonoid, then run another wire from the fuse box listed ignition on, to your toggle switch and then to the distributor or coil ( depending if you have a GM HEI or not ,if you have points, you need to run that wire into a ballast resistor and then to the coil.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

To correctly install a push button starter, Bring a wire 10 Gauge wire from the Battery post on the starter Via a fuse link to the area you want to install the pushbutton.

BE SURE the contact rating on the button is capable of supporting the draw of the solenoid, (about 50 amps) If not, your contacts will melt after a few uses, and you could have a fire..If the contacts ARE under rated, you MUST install a relay.

From the other side of the push button, run a 10 gauge wire to the wire coming to the Ignition switch that is hot in Start only. Parallel this wire here..DO NOT go directly to the "S" on the solenoid..this bypasses the neutral safety switch and is dangerous..the neighbor kid playing in your rod could find it start it in gear and ram it through your house in a New York Heart beat..

That wire can be found at the bottom of the steering column..With a DVOM , set to DCV, set for DC X 50 , probe the connector..It will be the ONLY wire with power when the key is held in "Start" (pull the "S" wire from the solenoid while testing so you not constantly cranking...)

For the Ignition..unles you have a switch that has a contact rating of 40 amps or higher, you WILL need a relay..Most folks believe a coil only pulls a few amps..a Common misconception..a Stock coil pulls 20 to 30 Amps..a performer pulls 30 to 45 amps..a plastic toggle , with a 5 amp contact will melt and cause a fire..

To hook up a relay, bring in any source of 12 volts , unswitched, Fuse it at 1 amp..run that to your toggle switch. the other side of the toggle will run to the RELAY COIL, #85..RELAY COIL #86 will get a hard , properly bonded ground. RELAY CONTACT #87 gets a 10 gauge wire that will run to the starter battery post, at the solenoid..via a proper fuse link. RELAY CONTACT # 30 gets a 10 gauge wire that will run to and Parallel with the HEI BATT wire.. that's it..

Another good little system, is using the relay without the toggle..hook the coil to your CD player power antenna wire and ground, and the contacts will run BETWEEN the HEI BATT wire (Cut and add each contact to each side) ..In this configuration, the ignition will only have power when the Face plate is installed AND the unit is on..The only drawback is the Radio must be on at all times while you are driving..use mute if you don't want to hear it..

When you leave..take the faceplate, the radio and relay can not activate, and the car has no coil power and won't start. a thief will move on..

Doc
Old 11-12-2006, 05:17 PM

tHANKS

Matt & Doc thank you very much. I will work on this through out the week. I am a carpentor and work long hours so it will take me time. I will keep you up dated on the progress. I will also send some pic's when my camara is out of the shop. Agin thanks.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in