Quadrajet issues - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I guess I'm looking at it from a whole different perspective. It is seldom my car sits for an entire month without going for a drive. Even in the winter unless the roads are still salty from previous snow or ice.

And I don't have any boats, so that's a whole different story! I'll bet that Monster flies! I knew someone with a big HEAVY boat, all wood I suppose and pretty old. It had twin 454's but I'll bet it needed full throttle to get up on it's own wake, or whatever terminology you use for when it's gets up higher out of the water. After much time working on it, they tried for days to start the first engine until someone figured out it had the wrong starter in it.

Now that I think of it, I did have an old wave runner. Never had a problem with water in the E-10 after sitting all winter and longer. ?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings View Post
I think the best solution is to take the tops off the carbs, see what floats are in them and replace both. Then replace needles and seats.
That sounds like the issue in this case.

I just thought that I'd throw some info out there based on a recent discussion about a Q-Jet on a car...

If you decide to rebuild/replace one or both carbs at some point, i would recommend that you find a Q-Jet "expert" who comes highly recommended, and knows Q-Jets "inside-out and backwards".
It seems to be very common that rebuilt Q-Jets end up getting turned into "boat anchors".
So, since yours work as advertised, except for this apparent float-related issue, having a Q-Jet expert rebuild your carbs would be your best option, if you ever feel the need to do that.

I personally had bought a "remanufactured" Q-Jet from Kragen back in the 80's, and it was a total piece of crap.
Other guys have told similar stories, and some guys in the recent discussion mentioned various differences between various years of Q-Jets, and the apparent fact that rebuilders screw them up on a regular basis.

It sounds like this is a simple issue, so just a "word to the wise" if you decide to go the rebuild route at some point in the future.

Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM
bentwings

You have got it right about the phase separation of ethanol fuel. It takes about two months for it to happen.

Using non oxy premium solves the phase separation problem. However boats being on the water are subject to lots of condensation. At our marina about 6:00pm on non rainy evenings the entire cockpit get wet. You can guess what happens in the fuel tanks that are open to the air. Same thing.

I just made a fuel tank pump out system that I havenít been able to use due to the flooding. Itís the next project however. The tanks are more or less built in and access to them is very restrictive. My is 250 gal mounted mid ship under the aft berth bunk. I have to pull up the mattress then remove the bunk floor. Itís probably the better part of a day job. I wish they made a line to the bottom of the tank just for this. I added just such a line on my Willys streetrod. I drained about a gallon of gas out every year in the spring. No problems.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:06 AM

If these are late model engines with electric fuel pumps I strongly recommend you do a fuel pressure test . Most of these came with carter pumps and they don't like water !
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 AM
bentwings

No these are mechanical pumps. They are marine double diaphragm with the line going to the carb. Both were replaced when I bought the boat last summer..

I’m going to order new needles and seats. Then lower the float level just a squeak. Both motors have run very well this spring. Both need to run reliably. I can’t have this occasional problem.

The flood is preventing me from just getting out to the boat as the pier walkway is underwater. It’s over 3 feet deep there now and going up a foot by the week end. The parking lot is flooded too. I’ll have to get a little dingy I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A387D1C-364D-459F-9FE9-8E9C3CD7CAB8.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	443739  
Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings View Post
No these are mechanical pumps. They are marine double diaphragm with the line going to the carb. Both were replaced when I bought the boat last summer..

Iím going to order new needles and seats. Then lower the float level just a squeak. Both motors have run very well this spring. Both need to run reliably. I canít have this occasional problem.

The flood is preventing me from just getting out to the boat as the pier walkway is underwater. Itís over 3 feet deep there now and going up a foot by the week end. The parking lot is flooded too. Iíll have to get a little dingy I guess.
There you go. Most replacements fuel pumps are being specced at 9 psi. A Quadrajet only needs 4-6 psi. Do a fuel pressure test and see what you have. Anything over 6 psi is too much. I find most run good at the lower end of the spec 4 psi.
The Following User Says Thank You to vpd66 For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 PM
bentwings

Good point. I have a pressure gage all I need are fittings.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in