quality hole saw kit for sheet metal? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

quality hole saw kit for sheet metal?

I like the punch and flare kits but I'd also like to make bike frames and so that would require hole saw bits. Any advice on good quality bits that aren't too pricey? If I want to flare the holes there's some great information out there on how to do them with corking bits and a beveled pipe, so not really interested in the punch and flare kits. They're pretty pricy anyways. I'd figure for that same price I could a hole punch kit but with more bits/sizes. Any advice appreciated.

I'll be working on mostly 19 gage and maybe 16 gage for the frame tubing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

For hole saws it is lennox brand. Run them slow in a drill press and use lots of cutting fluid of some sort.. Runout is an issue for hole saws but they do work..

Sam
tech69 (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM
put up or shut up

I can imagine that run out. For tubing I'm thinking the length of the guide bit would be an issue if it can't go thru both ends of the pipe to keep it steady and going at the angle you're looking for. Thanks for the advice. What about punches? And what do you prefer? Punches or bits? I imagine the bits would wear out quicker.

I see these green lee ones and have heard great things about them. It says it could do pipe to, which is great. Any thoughts?

http://www.zoro.com/i/G1705137/?utm_...e5YaAtnS8P8HAQ

Last edited by tech69; 03-02-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:58 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Making holes

I have a set of electricans greenlee hole punches for sheet metal, the ones where you drill a pilot hole and then tighten the center bolt to punch. When drilling holes with the hole saws in heavy gage I just start the cut to mark the material then carefully center punch inside the circle and drill a chip hole for the chips to fall thru. and I have some cone shaped plumbers reamers to clean up a sawed hole, , ream from both sides, and the unibit stepped cone bits make a good round hole. The harbor freight ones dull faster than good commercial ones but I use a 4 1/2 grinder to sharpen them. for making odd shapped holes I have a squeezer punch and a electric drill operated nibbler.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 PM

Last journal entry: Update on my Build-Lights

Tech,

I'm not completely certain of which "Punches and Bits" you are referring to, so I hope I am on the same subject as you are, however, I have both Hole Saws, Greenlee Punches, and a hole flaring (dimple) kit-

I was a complete noob about this (and, actually, a bit embarrassed really ), as I learned (the expensive way) that the Greenlee style hole punches do not fit my flares (they are made for "conduit" sizes, not hole sizes)-also, while the hole is pretty much complete, it is not done-the punch leaves "ears" on the hole that aren't concentric (or uniform), so, you have to straighten them out before you can do anything with them-

This is the Greenlee kit I bought:
http://www.toolup.com/images/Product...lee-7238SB.jpg

Now, regular Hole Saws do work & fit (my hole dimplers), but, if I were going to do a lot of them, I would look into Rota Broaches, as I seem to go through Hole Saws faster than I would like-

Fractional Rotabroach Cutters

I think they would last forever with how we use 'em-
The Following User Says Thank You to 35WINDOW For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM

btw, I will drill a pilot hole (with an 1/8" bit), then drill that hole the same size as my Hole Saw bit, then put a piece of drill stock in the Hole Saw so it doesn't wander while I drill the hole-YMMV, however-
Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

tubing notcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8vB2nX_6k
I have a variety of Good hole saws, lennox, milwaukee, starret, old ones made in the USA, When notching the 7/8 dom for hairpins I used the HF notcher, modified it, drilled holes and bolted it to a heavy steel table top then welded in locating tabs to clamp at angles the notcher wouldn't do. My old neighbor in Calif built circle track cars, had a milling machine in his shop but usually used his band saw to make a birds mouth cut then finished them with a peanut grinder, said it was a lot faaster than using the milling machine.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW View Post
Tech,

I'm not completely certain of which "Punches and Bits" you are referring to, so I hope I am on the same subject as you are, however, I have both Hole Saws, Greenlee Punches, and a hole flaring (dimple) kit-

I was a complete noob about this (and, actually, a bit embarrassed really ), as I learned (the expensive way) that the Greenlee style hole punches do not fit my flares (they are made for "conduit" sizes, not hole sizes)-also, while the hole is pretty much complete, it is not done-the punch leaves "ears" on the hole that aren't concentric (or uniform), so, you have to straighten them out before you can do anything with them-

This is the Greenlee kit I bought:
http://www.toolup.com/images/Product...lee-7238SB.jpg

Now, regular Hole Saws do work & fit (my hole dimplers), but, if I were going to do a lot of them, I would look into Rota Broaches, as I seem to go through Hole Saws faster than I would like-

Fractional Rotabroach Cutters

I think they would last forever with how we use 'em-
the big sets of the rotabroach cutters are interesting. To flare I can always use a beveled pipe with corking bits, which is the idea cause I haven't actually tried it yet, but that sounds great that those bits last longer than the hole saw bits, which I was kind of worried about in terms of wear and tear. So they'd cut thru tube as well? I don't see much of a guide so I'm assuming they'd walk all over. For the spot weld rotabroaches I like the guide with a point but for this I'd assume the 1/8" bit guide would be better. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM

I wish I could give you some experiences with them, but I don't have them (yet)-

I do plan to try them (on my next hole project), but I'm afraid I really just don't know- (but they look like the ticket to me)-
Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
put up or shut up

they definitely look stronger and more durable.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,938 Times in 4,408 Posts
I would have never had thought the punches are a tool to own, don't know why. But I bought a set for cheap at a garage sale and now know that I wouldn't work without them, they are an awesome tool. They don't replace all hole saws of course, I have those as well. But these things are awesome.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-...-a-263746.html

Brian

edit: I just saw that you responded to that thread so you already knew about them, sorry.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 PM
put up or shut up

as cool as they seem I'm hoping for something that can make holes and be able to do tubes so I can fabricate bike frames. The kind of frames I want are around $500 so it would be better to just make one, but I did see that on an advertisement for green lee punches that you can in fact do tubing. Is that true? I can't picture it.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
as cool as they seem I'm hoping for something that can make holes and be able to do tubes so I can fabricate bike frames. The kind of frames I want are around $500 so it would be better to just make one, but I did see that on an advertisement for green lee punches that you can in fact do tubing. Is that true? I can't picture it.
Are you talking about a tubing notcher?

Notch Master Tube Notcher

Or these?

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2...product=089127

Looking at the last one, maybe the punches could be used like that? I don't picture it either, the through bolts aren't long enough I don't believe.

Brian
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM

HOLY CRAP! Check out this Google image page for tubing noching using punches. https://www.google.com/search?q=tubi...punch&imgdii=_

Check out all the square tubing notched and all different notches, damn there is some cool things out there. All we need is to hit the lotto!

Brian
Old 03-02-2015, 04:38 PM
put up or shut up

thanks for that/ Tube notcher... they just sound expensive, don't they?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in