Question about tires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question about tires

This vehicle is the first I've owned with very wide rear tires. The size of the tire on there right now is 33X21.50-15LT.

Out of pure curiosity today, I thought about what options I would have if I ever wanted to change up the wheels/tires on this car. From all of the searching I have done, the only wheel size of a tire that wide I can find is a 15".

I do like the wheels being that large (wide). The car has been modified to run them, so using anything smaller would just look odd to me.

So I'm browsing around on the Summit website and run across these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...a65a/overview/

So, a 17" wheel that is 16" wide. I can not for the life of me find a tire that would fit such a wheel, and end up with that same type of final width of tire.

I guess what I'm getting at here, is, if I want to stick with a tire that wide am I pretty much bound to a 15" wheel?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 AM

I have 29x18.5 on my car. These are 15 inch and I wanted to go for a 17 inch. I had no luck finding a matching rim I liked and then a tire to match that too. Mickey Thompson has 20 inch that go that wide.. 33x22 R20
Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Thank for the response.

Hmmmm......I wonder exactly how out of place 20" rear wheels would look on my car. I bet, pretty out of place. Maybe. Maybe this style of a 20" wheel wouldn't I suppose. Wish I could photoshop something to realistic proportions to see what it would look like

Plus, that kicks up the price a fair bit on the wheels https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...b70a/overview/

Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,138 Times in 2,633 Posts
Just a guess, but since the wheel has conical lug nut seats and is listed as not being able to accept a 5/8" drive stud(HD race use, wheel must be drilled) nor mag shank lug like the drag guys use....that this may be intended for trucks, where you can get tires that wide, but they are also very tall.

If you do find something in a car tire over 12-13" wide for a 17" rim it will typically be very low profile, just a rubber band wrapped around the rim basically.

"Pro Street" sizing you are typically only going to find in 15" rim diameter,... and a few 20" will be that wide but quite a bit shorter height.

Last edited by ericnova72; 06-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
nazarah (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

As ericnova72 says rubber bands ......... in other words no sidewall. Think how bad the ride will be without the sidewall.

Pep
The Following User Says Thank You to rip-tide For This Useful Post:
nazarah (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 PM

Thanked 1,105 Times in 881 Posts
I'm not a fan of buggy wheel looking rims like 20 inchers. But you kind of have to decide for yourself about that.

From a technical stand point thin aspect tires remove some overall suspension compliance as they are quite stiff so take away impact absorption which puts more of that function into the suspension which if not set up for this makes a harsher ride. From a cornering standpoint they breakaway suddenly, that's OK if you're an attentive driver paying attention to signals from the suspension, if your not, then expect to have unplesant surprises if you push the edge of the envelope.

A third thing is impact survivability, these type tires are easily damaged by pot-hole and curb impacts.

As for beauty I can pass, but that is in the eye of the beholder. I like tall, curvy, brown eyed, latina, wavy haired brunettes. Like your tires that combination, especially the tall part, took a lot of shopping and ended with an accidental find when I wasn't looking.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
nazarah (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
it will typically be very low profile, just a rubber band wrapped around the rim basically.
Oof. That is not what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogiesAnnex1 View Post
I'm not a fan of buggy wheel looking rims like 20 inchers. But you kind of have to decide for yourself about that.

From a technical stand point thin aspect tires remove some overall suspension compliance as they are quite stiff so take away impact absorption which puts more of that function into the suspension which if not set up for this makes a harsher ride. From a cornering standpoint they breakaway suddenly, that's OK if you're an attentive driver paying attention to signals from the suspension, if your not, then expect to have unplesant surprises if you push the edge of the envelope.

A third thing is impact survivability, these type tires are easily damaged by pot-hole and curb impacts.

As for beauty I can pass, but that is in the eye of the beholder. I like tall, curvy, brown eyed, latina, wavy haired brunettes. Like your tires that combination, especially the tall part, took a lot of shopping and ended with an accidental find when I wasn't looking.

Bogie
Totally understand all of your points here. I had an old Chevy Beretta years ago that had low profile tires on it when I bought it. I liked nothing about them. One big pothole killed both the tire and the wheel. I wasn't even mad.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the 15" wheels whenever they do get replaced.

Appreciate the input from everyone!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in