Questions about basic painting. Jambs/Overlapping, etc, etc.. Quite long! Appreciated - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Questions about basic painting. Jambs/Overlapping, etc, etc.. Quite long! Appreciated

So guys, as you may or may not know, after 9 years of building a mustang from scratch, I'm doing the filler work and getting ready for paint this spring/summer, which I will be attempting myself. I've done little things before like primering the car (All stripped now) and painting engine bay, undercarriage, but.. here we go..

I asked a few days ago about primering the filler as I go on each panel so I can see how it looks. Now, when I do this, let's say on a 67 Mustang Fastback, I will be shooting the high build onto the epoxy at the same time so I don't have to scuff. But how can I make it blend into the adjoining panels.. Let's say the roof? I'll have an edge where i built up epoxy and high build.. then when I go to shoot the roof, it will overlap there (With the new epoxy going onto the bare metal of the roof, and also the high build of the previous panel). What should i do in this case?

For the priming of the doors, I THINK I should take them off, as I have to prime the inside (interior of the car) as well, and paint it with some black I have leftover from the rest of the interior. SO I guess I would have to remove them, prime and paint the interior, then hang again to block sand (And then remove again. coming up in a paragraph or two).

I think I should also take all the little pieces (Headlight buckets), etc, as well as the hood and decklid to get behind them. Then hang them again to block sand.

For the paint, I wanted to pull the all the smaller pieces and paint and clear them, and store them somewhere (I'm using metallic silver/gunmetal.. Fair idea?).

For the hood and decklid and doors, I will have to pull them off the car to paint the underneath and clear them. And for the jambs of the doors and doorframes. I would then have to rehang them.

Now once all the behinds and what nots are done, I would move on to painting the whole car (with Lemans stripes. Not sure if I want to put them on the underside yet or not).

If I paint the whole car together after the behinds and what nots are all painted, what do I do about overlapping areas, such as the parts of the fenders that are hidden once the hood is closed, and the quarters when the decklid is closed, etc? Do I treat them as jambs and paint them before I put everything back on?

I was thinking I could do that, and simply mask the visible (after the hood is closed) areas.. But then I'll have tape lines... OR, a semi bodyman friend of mine said do that, and once I reassembly it, scuff up the oversprayed base and clear, and then do the rest of the car.

OR!

After I apply Epoxy and 2K (But don't sand it), could I pull the doors and the exterior pieces, and shoot the back of the parts (Hood, decklid, extensions, etc) while taping off the front of them, and clear them. Then mount them on the car the way I want, and sand the exterior of the car to get it ready for sealer. Then mask all the parts (However, I'm not sure how I'd mask the jambs or the back of the extensions, etc, with them all bolted on.. And the flip side, I'm not sure how I'd unmask them if I bolted them together masked!?) and shoot the sealer and colour on the exterior of the car.

So I guess with the second method, can I shoot the jambs, reassemble the car, and then do the 2K block sanding and sealer and colour..

I've also just read that if I spray base and clear on the jambs, and let a little overlap to the outside, then spray base and clear on that overlapping area when I do the complete car, it will lift?! What's up with that?

Sorry about the questions, but for those in the know, if you could give your two sense, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm losing sleep over my plan of attack!

Thanks tons guys!

Advertisement

Last edited by JohnnyK81; 03-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
I asked a few days ago about primering the filler as I go on each panel so I can see how it looks. Now, when I do this, let's say on a 67 Mustang Fastback, I will be shooting the high build onto the epoxy at the same time so I don't have to scuff. But how can I make it blend into the adjoining panels.. Let's say the roof? I'll have an edge where i built up epoxy and high build.. then when I go to shoot the roof, it will overlap there (With the new epoxy going onto the bare metal of the roof, and also the high build of the previous panel). What should i do in this case?
I would scuff with 320 where you are going to overlap to give the epoxy something to key into. Then paint epoxy onto the scuffed part as well as the bare metal.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
point on positive

Quote:
If I paint the whole car together after the behinds and what nots are all painted, what do I do about overlapping areas, such as the parts of the fenders that are hidden once the hood is closed, and the quarters when the decklid is closed, etc? Do I treat them as jambs and paint them before I put everything back on?

I was thinking I could do that, and simply mask the visible (after the hood is closed) areas.. But then I'll have tape lines... OR, a semi bodyman friend of mine said do that, and once I reassembly it, scuff up the oversprayed base and clear, and then do the rest of the car.
Yes , treat then just like the jambs they are. You can mask the outside to keep the over-spray to a minimum... There is a foam tape made to sit back from the edges to avoid the hard tape lines or you could carefully roll 2 inch masking tape back on it'self with the sticky side out and back-tape with it also..

Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 AM

What's this I hear about lifting when painting the outside over base/clear overspray?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Alright guys, sum it up for me. As I've said, I've never done an all over before. Let alone an all over with the quality I want this one to have.

There has got to be an easier way than installing and removing the doors twice, but perhaps not.

So I guess as it stands now, when the car is all ready with filler (yes, I'm putting the filler on bare metal.. No conversations about that please) I'll pull the doors, and the hood and decklid, and spray the whole car, and those parts with primer and high build (Except maybe no high build on the underside of trunk and hood).

Then I'll reinstall the doors and sand the exterior. Then I'll pull the doors and what not again, and scuff and shoot the jambs, and the underside of hte hood and trunk.

Then I'll reinstall those parts, and shoot the exterior.

Easier/better way? I'd like to know about it before I venture into this! I still also have no idea why it's bad to get overspray from the jambs (The base and clear overspray) onto the exterior of the car. Can I not just scuff it and shoot my sealer/base/clear overtop of it when I paint the exterior?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

There is no right way or wrong way to painting an overall, many guys do it different ways. Bottom line is do it the way you feel the most comfortable to attack it. I have sprayed cars assembled and apart. To get a better and more factory (show car) job, painting it apart is the way to go as long as it is not a tri-stage or candy job. If it is a straight base/clear job you wont have any color vari problems. I will paint the inside deck lid,hood and inner door jambs (doors off car). Then back mask all of them and paint the outside of all the panels. Fenders can be painted one shot on a saw horse (inner lips as well). Then lastly paint the shell with all panels removed, this will alow you easy access to the front inner door jamb and also be able to get the paint to flow nice and wet. I will always wet sand and buff everything apart, as it is much easier to buff the bottom of any panel while you are standing up and its on a saw horse. Oviously all the fitting and gapping needs to be done before hand and you MUST be SURE everthing is going to fit EXACTLY the way you want it to. At that point when you get everthing buffed take your time reassemblying all your panels (lots of blankets and masking tape on your edges). This is just an example of how I do a high end job, use your own judgement and most importantly do not rush it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

I sand the over spray off wet, wash the car with warm water/dawn then apply base. Much easier to tape like milo does, there's always next time!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! Spraying apart would seem the best way, but I've heard too many color matching stores with a silver metallic?

But as for sanding the bc/cc after the jambs are sprayed.... Can I not spray the jambs (taping the exterior), and then reassemble the car, and then sand off the overspray that happened when I spray the jambs? I STILL don't know why people say the paint will lift?

(Panels all fit good. She's totally assembled now and stripped to bare metal).
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 AM

So I forgot to ask. Let's say I shoot the jambs and all that jazz, and reassemble the car. And I notice overspray on the exterior panels (Mostly the rockers, I assume, is where it would be). Can I just sand that overspray (the base/clear overspray) off, shoot my sealer, and paint? Will I have a noticeable tape line? Is it necessary to mask the jambs when I have the doors on the car and am painting the exterior? I would think that paint would not be able to get int here, but as I've said, Iv'e never done a real, complete all over. I have no qualms with the labour of masking, I just want the best looking job.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:05 AM

The overspray I was referring to was on the exterior of the car. Ill pos up a link, you don't want overspray from painting the body getting on your freshly painted jambs.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 AM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=xVN1ty4gX2A

Do a google search for masking door jambs for more videos/info.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 AM
point on positive

Quote:
What's this I hear about lifting when painting the outside over base/clear overspray?
Your hearing a valid concern.. Once the overspray is sanded off the adjacent panel up to the edge of the jamb what you have is an exposed base and clear edge and it indeed needs to be thought of as a clear sand-through.
What can happen if the next coats of base color are put on to wet it can react with that edge and craze and or "lift".
It doesn't happen often enough to be disscused much but is something to keep in mind. This is where " banding" comes in handy. Banding is the term for targeting all the edges prior to complete overall coats.. In cases with base/clear as you have going these passes are light 2 inch"dusted" coats just covering the gaps all around with time in between to keep an eye whats happening, if theres a problem stop it's better to address it with just a little paint on there instead of the on the whole car.

Heres a thread that kinda touches on the princible in post #6
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wait...+the+bodylines

**More on Banding-> http://www.ccar-greenlink.org/SP2%20...hnique%202.pdf

Hope to have helped..

Last edited by milo; 03-11-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in