Questions about heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Last journal entry: Epoxy primed the body today
Wiki Edits: 0

Questions about heads

Hi there, Im new to the board and have been reading the posts and decided to registor. From what I have read so far there is some great info here. Would like to get some opinions, going to build a mild street chevy 350 and would like to know if these heads are worth useing for the money

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

or would the World S/R Torquers. I am wanting something around 9.5-1 or 10.0-1 cr with flat top pistons.

I am not wanting to build a all out racer just want something with more horse power for my 1982 camaro to make it more fun to drive.

Thanks for any help.
Don

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH

THose heads would work just fine. They will be right around the Compression Ratio you are looking for and would be a great place to find some budget horsepower. You will probably want to use a thin head gasket to bring it in the 9.5 with some flat tops.

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info Double_v23. What I have is one of those "hekco n mexico" GM crate target motors that has about 1000 miles on it before the pickup it was in got wrecked. Was my grandpas and he just gave me the motor. From the casting #s it has 8.5:1 cr with the dished pistons,76cc cylinder heads, .383*/.401* lift and 112* lobe seperation. I figure since the price was right I would change pistons,cam,heads,manifold and carb and come out with something that would make the camaro fun to drive.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

I recommended this to someone earlier, there is a desktop engine building program that lets you check out different setups for your engine there is a free ten day trial. Here is the link.

http://www.performancetrends.com/download.htm#eapro

It lets you pick cam profiles, intakes, heads, all from a long list of options. Then you can calculate the performance and it graphs it and tells you the difference between the new and old setups. It lets you get the most bang for your buck.

Here is a good setup that will make 450 ft lbs at 4500 rpm and 485 horse at 6000

Your motor .030 over
Comp Cams XE274H
1.6 ratio rockers
The heads from summit at 10:1 compression (You could get the appropriate pistons to reach that)
Single Plane Intake like Edelbrock Torquer 2 or Weiand Team G
Some porting and polishing
a 650 to 750 cfm carb.

This setup will sacrifice a little low end driveability and you would need to get a bigger stall converter like 2000 but you would have a nasty street machine for sure.

Download that free trial...enter some parts combos and calculate the performance. Then hit the "analyze" button and the program will tell you what is good (and bad) about your setup and how to change it for the better. You learn alot about what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info, Double_v23 I sent you PM with some questions.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Air Force Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS50
Hi there, Im new to the board and have been reading the posts and decided to registor. From what I have read so far there is some great info here. Would like to get some opinions, going to build a mild street chevy 350 and would like to know if these heads are worth useing for the money

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

or would the World S/R Torquers. I am wanting something around 9.5-1 or 10.0-1 cr with flat top pistons.

I am not wanting to build a all out racer just want something with more horse power for my 1982 camaro to make it more fun to drive.

Thanks for any help.
Don
Honestly, the best head you can get for the money is a Vortec. better flow, better power, better...well just about better everything. They're a little more expensive than what you have listed and you'll need to get a vortec style intake but they are, in almost everyone's opinion, the best small block chevy head for the money that you can get.

Vortec Heads from Scoggin-Dicky
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

A stock Vortec head is better than a stock Non-vortec.... if they have the same valves, combustion chambers, intake...however the summit heads listed have bigger valves than most vortecs, Have screw in studs and will work with the thousands of intakes that are available for non vortec engines.

You can spend a long time searching for a vortec head and intake setup that will work for your application, with the right combustion chamber for your pistons, machine them for screw in studs and guidplates, and purchase the springs that will support a high performance cam and by the time all that is over you will have spent twice as much and gained 10-15 horsepower. And don't forget the center bolt valve covers you will need.

Those heads from summit come with everything you need, in a chamber that will give you good compression, and will cost you 300 a piece. I am willing to bet that the world iron heads will outperform the vortecs by a long shot. And cost the same as some vortecs.

If you want them to flow every bit as good as vortec heads you can do a little bit of port work for free and they will be within 1-2 hp of a stock vortec.

That is just my opinion, I don't disagree that vortec heads are better, but at what price?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Air Force Guy

You're right on all fronts. I didn't look into the heads he listed that far assuming he was simply looking for an upgrade over his stock ones.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info on the vortec heads. But i am going with the summit heads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in