Quick fuel 850 brawler thread. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quick fuel 850 brawler thread.

Since the 496 is in and running fine(for those of you that were in on the that thread) I'm going to let it fall to the archives since there's nothing anymore really to add to it. So, I'll start this one for the carb and go from there.

Anywho I ordered the 67303 brawler and am going to try my hand at tuning, I've got access to pv's, jets, air bleeds,etc.. for free so it's just my time.

In my excitement I forgot to order the fuel line for it. Would the mr gasket $25 thing be good enough or do I really need one of the $75 deals? I have 3/8" hose from the regulator to the current carb, and 1/2" from the tank to the regulator inlet.

And as far as the 4 corner idle screws, would 1/2 turn on the rears and 3/4 on the fronts be a good starting place? I'd think 1.5 turns all around would be way too much as my engine idles at 700 rpm in gear. But, it will flat out scoot.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 05:10 PM

3/4 out on all 4 is a good place to start.

I never have any luck with the cheap fuel lines. After a couples hours of fighting leaks you will wish you had spent the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyK For This Useful Post:
Dfish1247 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Sounds good to me.

Once the carb shows up, I'll take it and see what I can find for a fuel line. I'd assume any Holley style log fits?

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 PM
True Hotrodder

Start with 1 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture and go from there with a vacuum gauge.

As this carb is listed as a "race" version, I doubt seriously if you are going to encounter any power valves. If this is going to be used mostly on the street, then you will probably find it to be a bit on the rich side out of the box.

Fuel lines always seem to be a personal preference type thing so I recommend bringing the fuel from the regulator on a pair of -6AN lines to the fuel bowls. IMO, rubber hose doesn't have any business on a hot rod today.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
Dfish1247 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 PM

The rubber hose hasn't let me down yet,lol. I guess I could splurge on black ptfe and -6 an fittings. That'd be trick.

Or, I have the 803 Holley fpr, holley makes a bracket for $45ish that hangs the fpr to the side of the carb, I have a 1.5" drop base 14" air cleaner, you guys think that bracket would hit? If it won't, I'd get it, fittings and copper tubing, and bend up a sweet hard line setup.

I'll probably bite the bullet on an afr gauge sometime soon. Finding something between stanky danky rich, and glowing header lean isn't hard, just tedious. At least a gauge would give me a number to go by. Wot I wouldn't mind being a hair rich, but I'd like cruising to be fairly on 13-14:1 area.

1.5 turns seems steep to me, but I've been wrong far more than right.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 AM

Those cheaper lines are a gamble and sometimes they work but you have to really crank them tight as they are a flare fitting and it takes a good flare fitting to seal well and I have had half and half luck using them things and you maybe lucky to get one to work and as long as the flare is good and the bends on the tube are good and line up well then most likely it should be fine but they are cheap and sometimes they don't line up well and are a pain to seal up without leaking and risk stripping your fuel bowl.

I finally bit the bullet and got a 60 dollar fuel rail from quick fuel and its been awesome and leak free since day one. Also since your carb is a 4 corner idle don't start out with 1.5 turns out on your mixture screws as it will be way to rich and trust me I have worked with holley carbs for over 12 years and built several of my own custom holley carbs and even converting some to 4 corner idle and on many different engine combos from mild to wild. On a four corner idle I would start out with about 3/4 of a turn as they are very more sensitive to change of the idle mixture screws compared to a 2 corner idle carb.

Just turning a 1/8 of a turn makes a big difference on the effect on the idle mixture screws. If your idle circuit calibration is correct and your timing is correct and you have proper opening of the primary idle transfer slot exposure and enough opening of the secondary then your idle mixture screws should all be equal in the half to 3/4 out on all four idle mixture screws and sometimes depending on the engine 1 full turn at the most.

This is from my experience on about ten different builds and also many hours on studying research on tuning carbs and reading gobs of forums on people tuning holley carbs with rich idles and I wrote a lot of notes down on many engine combos and also what worked for them and made a basic data base of different engine combos and where there final carb settings were at and what worked and I have many holley books and I have a pretty good knowledge on a basic starting point on where to work with them things to get them working good. Normally the 1.5 turns out on the idle mixture screws are on the 2 corner idle carbs as it is working for the front and rear as for the four corner idle carbs the front is separated from the rear and its like having two carbs sitting on your engine. The front half for the first four cylinders and the back half for the rear four cylinders. Before adjusting anything make sure your timing curve is correct for your build or you will chase your tail and make a band aid tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
Dfish1247 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM
True Hotrodder

Just out of curiosity - would you let us know where the idle mixture screws are set - out of the box? Anything less than 1 1/8 on our stuff simply won't drive worth a pinch in the pits but it's all about the combo.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM

I will let you guys know.

carb should be here tomorrow. Fuel log will be here Friday. Snap shots will be posted of course.

I was thinking tighter on mix screws because mine idles at 700rpm in gear vs the 1000+ wild cam cars idle at.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:55 PM

A carburetor showed up, the wrong one. I ordered a black one and got a shiny carb in the box for a black one. I called Holley and asked to speak about either returning it and getting the correct carb or getting the difference ($70) refunded, the guy I was supposed to talk to didn't answer, so I left a message and am waiting to hear back.

I haven't touched a thing on it until this is straightened out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in