Quick Fuel carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2019, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quick Fuel carb

I bought a Quick Fuel HR series 680 carb a while back at the Turkey Rod Run, as the factory vendor was on-site and gave me a good price (yes, it was Sunday!). Just put it on my 400 SBC and having a devil of a time getting it to stop leaking through the fuel inlets. Tried a couple of different solid dual-inlet units, one from Summit and one I had on an older 4150-type Holley and they both leak. Quick Fuel (which is made by Holley) told me the right piece is Holley PN#34-150, but it looks like the same unit I got from Summit (PN#G3098). Hoping the Holley piece can snug down properly, but wonder whether anyone has had similar issues.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM

Looks like I answered my own question by going to the Summit customer comments on the the Holley dual feed line. Just wish I'd done that BEFORE I ordered it. Reams of comments about having to bend the tubes to get the fittings to seat without leaking--and this is a Holley feed line going to Holley carbs!!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
I've used that same line , the Holley version, for 20 years. It needed to be tightened quite tight the first time it was installed, the ends that connect the the carb bowls. I initially had aluminum inverted flare fittings at the carb bowl and could not stop a leak, turns out that tightening the fitting enough to form the flare tube to the seat broke the seat area out of the fitting, pushed it right though.

I put the stock Holley steel inverted flare bowl fittings back into the bowls, lubed the threads on the line fittings so the chrome wouldn't cause a galling problem, then tightened them up stoutly. Got to use two wrenches, one on the line fitting and one on the carb bowl fitting to do it right. (I've found most inverted flare dual feed lines to need this step). A flare nut wrench on the line fitting really helps compared to just a open end wrench.

No leaks, and it's been on/off near 50+ times and on 3 different carbs making adjustments and changes and still is leak free. Doesn't need to be tightened nearly as tight now that the flare on the ends of the line to each bowl have been conformed to the seat in the fitting.

Best dual feed line I've ever found of that style. I wanted a chrome line but most have a hose barb fitting or are made with the hose nipple already there, I wanted to be able to hook a hard line or AN hose up without an ugly hose clamp is why I chose this line.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Thanks. Yep, I figured out it's important to hold the large nut on the fitting while snugging down the 5/8" nut. One of the many who weighed in on Summit suggested that the best solution to the not-quite-lining-up issue was to cut a piece out of the middle of the line, tighten down the two ends, then link them with a piece of 3/8" hose. Not elegant, but then neither is my truck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in