rebuilt holley - difficulties - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2015, 11:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is it possible the backfiring damaged the distributor?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM

just looked at it again and noticed there is fuel coming from the vacuum source from under the front float bowl..... ?????
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM

I have never hard of a backfire doing any damage to a distributor. As far as your carb goes do you mean the vacuum fitting on the base plate on the front? It could be that the fuel bowl gasket is leaking and the fuel is dripping down on the base plate or the metering block gasket could be leaking or you also could have a fuel bowl screw gasket leaking fuel or the base plate tower gasket could be leaking. I just did a bowl swap on my 600 holley which is the same as yours and I had a puddle of fuel after it sit on my intake over night and I felt the back of the rear fuel bowl and there was fuel al over the back area of my fuel bowl and base plate and it seemed it was from there but upon inspection my lower fuel bowl screw was leaking and it turned out to have old gasket residue on the bolt head and after cleaning it off and putting a new screw gasket on it and tightened everything back up it did not leak anymore. It seems like you have a gasket seal issue on one of those areas. The best thing is to run it if you can but have a lot of rags underneath it to soak up any fuel and try to see where its leaking. I know sometimes if things are fine and then all of a sudden you have a very faint fuel leak that after a few heat cycles sometimes you have to retighten the fuel bowl screws.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM

thanks eric, that got me thinking and well i just went out and pulled the base plate gasket off to inspect and it turns out not only did the base plate gasket rip, but the adapter that mounts the carb to the intake BROKE where the stud goes through. not only did it break, but its an edelbrock adapter so its probably the incorrect one to begin with? guess ill go to the auto parts store and get a new holley adapter. which adapter and gaskets should i be using? the square one or the square one with the strip down the middle? and the other gasket should have the 4 large holes, correct? i have an edelbrock performer 2101 intake under the holley 600
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM

the engine is going to the shop to be rebuilt soon and id hate for the carb to ruin the engine. i really should just get rid of this one and buy a 750 dp or something similar.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. Misadjusted valves will cause backfiring... fire gets past an intake valve not fully closed into intake manifold...

. Holley carb.'s easier to adjust than Edelbrocks...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 PM

could it be a valve even if it idled fine before i took the carb apart? i took it apart because it was leaking fuel onto the manifold (doh!) and hard starting when warm. only the hard starting part was cured, still leaked fuel like a sob before i realized i broke the base plate (since then it wont idle for crap)

anyways, one more thing ive found - the holley carb is a square bore if i understand correctly. well, my intake is a spread bore.. is than a problem and should i use an adapter plate? maybe go back to a quadrajet? i know where to get a rebuilt 750 rochester for cheap, for about the price of the adapter plate.. the 750 would probably perform better than the 600 on my 400, right?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

. Yeah... the 750 would let a 400 breathe better... any idea what size engine the Q-Jet was set up for or rebuilt toward?

. Several years ago I saw a couple adapters for $5 each (or for both?) at a swap meet, so I picked them up... haven't used any yet, but figured they'd always be worth more than I paid... OK, just checked to see if they were 2 bb. to 4 bbl. or spread bore to square bore, but they seem to missing... along with a magnesium or aluminum bellhousing... all of it may have been stolen for the aluminum scrap value... very irritating...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 03-30-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 PM

yikes, thats no bueno. i found an adapter for 6 bucks on ebay and another base plate for 17 should be here in a week or 2. guess i can use my free time to work on my explorer sport (family vehicle)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM

I am glad that you found some things that was wrong but on your intake it has both bolt patterns and you don't need a square bore to spread bore adapter if that is what you had on it. The only thing you need is the plate below which allows for a square bore carb to seal up properly on the edelbrock intake and its only $8.97 from summit and you would need nothing else.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2732
Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM

I wont need the other spacer to keep heat from boiling the fuel? Ive read thats a common problem

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in