Hot Rod Forum banner

Recommend a small, lightweight battery!

Tags
agm battery
12K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Curmudgeon29 
#1 ·
Recommend a small, lightweight battery!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building a closed cab A pickup w/383 SBC, lights & horn.
I don't want to mount it under the floor....suggestions please!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
You have hit upon another cool feature of Odyssey batteries. Your 10 amp charger would shorten the life of a regular flooded lead acid car cranking battery because it is higher than the 0.1C charge rate. Most car batteries are around 65 amp/hr, and that is why you see most automotive chargers with an output of 6 amps. The (4) battery bank in my hot rod scooter I charge at 2.0C, that is 20 times faster. I use a 30 amp 48 volt golf cart charger and it is ready to ride in 25 minutes.

#12 ·
Over time, you will be very happy with your purchase. Just remember two things, one, ANY lead acid battery left in a discharged state for any length of time will have a shortened life and the 2nd probably doesn't apply to you, since you aren't using a modern automotive electrical system, and that is phantom loads. A lot of modern cars use up to 0.02 amps keeping brains alive. On a typical 65 a/hr battery, that small drain won't be an issue for 3 months of non use (engine running, charging system doing its thing). With just 16 a/hr, you could have starting problems in 3 weeks. A Model A with a 383 sbc stroker will have zero phantom loads, so no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.