Recommendations for ignition system replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Recommendations for ignition system replacement

I'm considering replacing the ignition system on a 70 Chevelle. Today it is using a Mallory distributor, Accel super coil, and a Summit ignition box. Kind of a hodge podge of "stuff" if you will. Engine is a 454 with a Dyers 6-71 blower. I can provide more details around that if it'll help.

I've not ever had to buy an entire ignition system before. I don't know (or think) that anything is particularly "wrong" with this one, but I don't know if I'm a fan of the non matching equipment. Plus I like the timing adjustment feature of the BTM box.

Is MSD still kind of the go to for something like this? Perhaps a combination like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8360
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8207
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-6462
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-35379

If there are better options out there, please let me know your thoughts or opinions.

Or - if I'm being unrealistic and I should take the "if it's not broke don't fix it" approach, that's cool too. Just looking for some input.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,650 Posts
MSD is no longer the "automatic" go-to anymore....quality has gone downhill quite a bit when the original owners sold out to the Holley investment group.

For guys who aren't going fuel injected and using an aftermarket ECM from the injection to control the ignition the best right now for carbureted guys is the Daytona Sensors systems.
Daytona Sensors is the continuation of the Crane Hi-6 line of ignition controls which were well liked and had a good rep for reliability but got dropped when Crane filed for bankruptcy protection and left Florida..

The CD-1 ignition and TCS-1 timing control and the billet distributor will be what you probably looking for. you can get dataloggers and other controls too.

Products Catagoeies | Daytona Sensors™

I got rid of all my MSD stuff and bought up several Holley Annihilator Pro Strip ignitions about 10 years ago, which are great and quite reliable(very similar to the Hi-6 and Daytona stuff), but Holley dropped them when the investment group bought up MSD and Mallory.
Hard to find complete new Annihilator units anymore and no customer support. Still pop up from time-to-time on EBAY new in the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
nazarah (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Thank you for the input, glad I asked before hitting that checkout button I'll check the Daytona stuff out.

EDIT:

Is the Daytona stuff mainly for racing? This car will see little track time, mostly street use.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 AM
More for Less Racer

If you do decide you want to go with MSD, your list is fine except for one thing....you don't need or want the "Ready-to-Run" distributor. since you are going to be using an MSD box, the 6BTM, you don't need a distributor that has a module and rev limiter built in, because you would just end up having to strip those parts ut to hook it up the the 6BTM box.

All you need as a regular Pro Billet distributor....the "Ready-to-Run" is for the guys not wanting to run an ignition box......hence it is set up to just drop it in and hook up a hot wire and coil and it is "Ready-to-Run".

Whether you want just mechanical advance, mechanical plus vacuum advance, or a locked-out advance for ready to go use with a timing control box is up to you. The advance models are easily locked out if needed, it is a 5 minute job to do it. More options down the road with all the advance features included, should you ever need them.

What Mallory distributor do you have?? Some of the older electronic Mallory's are virtually bulletproof, it would be a shame do just ditch it if it is a good model.

Holley is supposedly going to reintroduce Mallory Ignition back into their line-up....but I've got no idea what that is going to consist of or when it is going to be happening
Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazarah View Post
Thank you for the input, glad I asked before hitting that checkout button I'll check the Daytona stuff out.

EDIT:

Is the Daytona stuff mainly for racing? This car will see little track time, mostly street use.
Daytona Sensors is for the same applications as MSD....race, street, marine....just about anything but aircraft.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:20 AM

No idea on which model of distributor this is, another part that was on the vehicle when I purchased it.

All of the billet distributors I see from MSD are mechanical advance only, I'm not seeing any available (from Summit at least) that are mechanical plus vacuum. I may have my search criteria to narrow though. I think I'd like to have the option of mechanical plus vacuum. Like you mentioned, if I ever did want to lock them out it's a pretty quick job.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Looks like this would be the one

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8361
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM

It's interesting that you connect a laptop to the Daytona CD-1 to digitally program the ignition curve. I guess you're not messing with vacuum or mechanical advance at all in that scenario. But you have more accurate control over the exact timing if you are comfortable doing that. Can even connect a MAP sensor to make a 3D timing table!
Old 06-07-2019, 12:36 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazarah View Post
It's interesting that you connect a laptop to the Daytona CD-1 to digitally program the ignition curve. I guess you're not messing with vacuum or mechanical advance at all in that scenario. But you have more accurate control over the exact timing if you are comfortable doing that. Can even connect a MAP sensor to make a 3D timing table!
Yep.... and I would think a guy with a 6-71 Blower would really want to have that ability, as the MAP sensor can be used for both vacuum advance cruise timing additions and boost timing retard functions.

Yeah, that's the right MSD distributor....you can get the same thing, likely made in the same manufacturing plant, under the Summit house brand for $100 less
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...make/chevrolet
nazarah (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:47 PM

Being an IT guy by trade, this is right up my alley. Such precise control over everything with no guessing. I really want to do this now!

Thank you again for pointing me down this path.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM

I was not able to get the Daytona Sensor software to download, but the MSD stuff did........

Anyway, regardless of the software used, does the attached curve look like a good place to at least start with a product like this? From what I've read and understood you have to think of this a bit differently, basically as in timing taken out or added in from the locked out position.

Distributor would be locked at 36.
0-500 RPM at 16 degrees (20 adjusted) for easy starting
500-900 ramps up to 18 (18 adjusted) for idle
900-1200 idling at 18
1200 is where the curve kicks in, adjusting 1 degree per 100 RPM's
All in by 3000 at the locked in 36 degrees

Boost set to retard 1 degree per lb of boost in the bottom graph. Starting at 14.5 since it measures in psia.

Or am I completely off base here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timing.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	444219  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM
More for Less Racer

You're right on target....may have to go to 1.5° or 2° per lb of boost on the retard, but the curve /rate is fine.
nazarah (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.

And I told myself I was going to wait until next month to buy more car parts.....who was I kidding?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in