Recommended Seam Sealer and application. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing98 View Post
Any preferences or recommendations on which sealer to use and the most efficient way to apply it? Caulk type applicators appear the easiest and then use a spreader or brush to smooth it.

I saw an Eastwood video where the guy used some sort of solvent to smooth it. I think it was reducer.

I have watched some interesting 3M videos where they caulk gun the sealer on a panel seam that will be spot welded over another and then they spread it smooth. Then they just spot weld the panels.

I would like to do this on the lower seam of my rocker panel for added protection. As I don't have a spot welder like in the video I will be using my MIG. I plan to place a small piece of tape of the pre-drilled spot weld hole before I spread the sealer so I don't contaminate the weld area.

Thanks
What welder in the video? Pro-spot machine? Nice machine and they can do it, but you need to get it done before the seam sealer starts to kick. Weld/bond technique using both methods. it's a nice way to do it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,837 Times in 4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing98 View Post
Got myself one of these universal applicator guns off of Prime for $38. Much cheaper that the $100 brand name guns. Made in England. Seems super solid and well made. Comes with a number of adapters for different cartridges. Looks like a great bargain, but to me seems like a much more realistic price.

Also went with the 3M Heavy Body. $36 from Prime. Seems to be the average price for most 2k sealers of this type. I admit I was a little surprised when I got the package. It's the 200ml cartridge. Looks tiny! Boy this specialty stuff is not cheap.

Anyway, hope this helps others.
I folloewd the advice here and ordered one of the guns. It arrived yesterday and I was very pleased. It appears to be excellent quality. I am looking forward to using it.

Thanks for posting Bing98

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-16-2018)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in