redoing concours nova fender moldings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

redoing concours nova fender moldings

I am redoing my 1977 nova concours wide fender moldings. Its taken along time in take all the dents, dings and gravel pits out of them and to sand them down and polish them to look like chrome. Now that I'm done, how do I protect them. I was going to have them anodized or chromed, but that is to expensive. Has anyone clear coated polished aluminum and how did it work.? Or is there a better answer for my project. I'm in no hurry, because I put my new set on. I'm just redoing the original ones just because they are very rare. Thank in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,178 Times in 2,667 Posts
For a hand applied coating look into Zoops-Seal or a similar product aimed at protecting the finish of billet aluminum.

As you've found, having them re-brite anodized is the only true maintenance-free solution.

You might investigate clear powdercoating, but I'd do a test piece before committing to it, as it may not be the look you want.

As far as automotive paint type clear finish, it doesn't adhere well to a polished surface (no "bite" for it), and often either yellows with time or just muddles the look even if it stays clear.

You'll find that once it is sanded through the original anodizing and fully polished in clean aluminum that it is rather easy to maintain as is if you are fairly diligent.
Just like keeping a fully polished aluminum wheel shiny, you need to always dry the pieces after washing to prevent water spots, and hand polishing and sealing with a good aluminum polish/sealer like the Wenol polish and sealing lacquer paste works rather well, and there are several other billet wheel polishes that are also good if you search into them.
It's the lowest cost alternative by far.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Thanks eric, I was kind of thinking that those polishes were going to be my only answer, but I thought there maybe another answer. They are a lot better looking sanded and squared up than the original looking ones. But i'm sure the anodizing protects the aluminum better. This aluminum is really soft and not like wheel quality aluminum. They scratch very easily .

Old 12-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki
Wiki Edits: 1

I had a '77 Concours also. The original trim was clear anodized. This looks good for a while until it gets a few rock chips and starts to corrode under the anodizing.
Really, the best thing you can do is leave them bare. Any coating you put on will get chipped and then you are chasing the corrosion under the coating again.
You've got a nice polish on them now so, leave them bare and hit them with some polish a couple times a year. I will recommend White Diamond metal polish. Get it at Advance or O'Rielly's. This is good stuff and is better then Mothers Billet Polish. It will protect the shine for a long time with no real effort.
Mark
Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 PM

Thanks astro, I just might pick up some of that also. I think i'll try that as well. Just get some of both and see which one works better. Gust money and time. Since you had one of those concours nova's also, can you tell me if the fender molding on the 4-door were the same as the 2-door or hatchback. Mine is the hatchback.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 PM

I had a hatchback also. I can't imagine that the moldings would be different between the cars. The front fenders are all the same and the rear wheel openings would not change so I would say any of the molding's would work.
Mark
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 PM

I thought that they would be the same for the front fenders since they are all the same, but I didn't know about the rears. The new ones I put on, I had bought the year I bought the car new. I was told they would be hard to find some day, and I just ordered a new complete set and had them till I had it repainted. I've required all kinds of parts for it just incase it ever got damaged. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Just a little follow up. I got some mothers aluminum polish and used a polishing wheel on my had drill. WOW It didn't look good till I wiped it off. Then I hit them again. If I didn't know any better, i'd thought they were chromed. They look so good, I'm going to take the new ones off and put these back on. They just sparkle. Thanks guys
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Once you get them polished. mantanance is easy with a can of Nevr Dull, and a soft rag.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM

Thought i'd give you guys a heads up on my moldings. Sprayed one of the moldings with some clear spray paint. Looked good at first, but in a month its now starting to change to dull runny looking something. I think its showing the first stages of yellowing or something. So you were right! Body shop told me they knew it wouldn't work even if they did it with clear. The polished surface doesn't give it enough bite and it likes to slide on it. Back to sanding the one down and trying that zoops-seal. They didn't know if that would work, because of the high polish. I am just going to have to spend a little time every so often an polish them.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:05 PM

Did you get the White Diamond polish? Zoops Seal doesn't last either and you will be right back to square one.
Save your time and money and get the White Diamond, keep them polished and they will look good for a long time.
Mark
Old 02-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Used mother metal polish and it worked like a charm. After a months worth of work on them they are better looking than new. I was luck enough to have a new set I bought new a year or two after I bought the car new, and I put them on the car when I had it all redone. Its been a few years so I thought i'd attempt to try and improve the old ones incase one got damaged. They have turned out great. I Think the only way now to find them, would be on another concours nova. I have my spare set, so i'm happy. I will try some diamond polish also. Always can use these high quality products of something.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in