Removed gas tank. Now proper storage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removed gas tank. Now proper storage?

Removed the stock new gas tank from 33...., and need to store it. It is drained from all fuel.
What is best method to store it? Right now, its outside with the supply line capped, and vent tube open......
Should I just put a piece of screen over vent tube? Will the inside rust?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 06:52 AM

gas tank

first I've never done or needed to do what u are doing.. for one i'd keep it indoors somewhere.. garage/shed. but why are u doing this. hopefully doing some work on the '33 cause u don't need to do that just to store the car.. but owning a '33 i'm sure u know that...
Old 01-08-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
first I've never done or needed to do what u are doing.. for one i'd keep it indoors somewhere.. garage/shed. but why are u doing this. hopefully doing some work on the '33 cause u don't need to do that just to store the car.. but owning a '33 i'm sure u know that...
Eliminating the stock gas tank, installing fuel cell in trunk.
Prob will put in shed, not garage, just not sure if "screening off" the vent pipe and capping supply tube is enough

Old 01-08-2020, 07:47 AM

Each time I do a build the original gas tank is one of the first things to go. I replace the gas tank with a poly unit from Tanks. These tanks are set up with all fittings and are a perfect fit. No rust and very strong. If your tank is original you may want to consider one of these. If it's a steel replacement dry it out real good and cap everything to keep it sealed from the elements. Before using it again inspect the inside for rust and if there is any an acid wash may be in order.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
Each time I do a build the original gas tank is one of the first things to go. I replace the gas tank with a poly unit from Tanks. These tanks are set up with all fittings and are a perfect fit. No rust and very strong. If your tank is original you may want to consider one of these. If it's a steel replacement dry it out real good and cap everything to keep it sealed from the elements. Before using it again inspect the inside for rust and if there is any an acid wash may be in order.
I believe the tank I removed (steel from tanks inc for 1933 ford), is only 3-4 years old, looks new. If I store in shed, and cap off both supply tube, and vent tube, wont pressure build up? Especially in summer months?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Capt Mike

I've done this a few times, here goes.

First of course I drained all the fuel and removed the fuel send from the tank for better ventilation. Let it set outside for at least a day to evaporate as much gasoline as possible.

With the fuel tank still outside and away from my garage, Then place an air line from my compressor into the fuel tank after having a brass valve preset to slow the air flow at a "gentle" rate". Plus tape off the metal air line quick disconnect fitting with paper masking tape.

After a few hours I would then I would complete the Sniff test. Always there would be a gasoline odor. If you haven't ever seen a Fire Department demo with the small container rinsed with gasoline,, then wiped clean and presumably dry -- Then Ignited ,,, It is an Eye Opener.

Next I removed the air line and add at least a pint of a Fast Evaporating Solvent, an over the counter product.. I Then rotate the fuel tank as to rinse all the interior walls. Then drain the fuel tank into an oil drain pan, carefully tilt, turn etc to drain...

Then I would repeat the air line Flush the rest of the day.

This process removes a great deal of the volatile fumes from gasoline, but rarely all of the fumes.

SO I would store the fuel tank outside for a day or two or three,,, , WITHOUT Sealing any openings !! -- until I could not smell the gas fumes. Then in the tank "Well Ventilated" Garden Shed for storage, and "without being sealed".

Then letting the tank sit outside or in storage, I always had the fuel fill or one of the largest openings in the UP position..

Like it or Not, this works for me and yes,, I'm over Cautions...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptMike For This Useful Post:
31ROC (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 PM

just thinking of this

if u know someone that has a N2 bottle. clean the tk and dry and purge with N2 and seal it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in