Removing spray-paint from Milodon 30909 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removing spray-paint from Milodon 30909

The engine builder painted the gold-iridated looking Milodon 30909 (post-1986 SBC) oilpain. Just engine enamel spray bomb. I called Milodon direct and the guy said he cant recommend touching it without damaging the oilpan and "requiring a new one". Is it not actually an iridated finish; just a faux finish? Has anyone ACTUALLY gotten overspray on one and taken it off without harming the finish?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Redneck Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
The engine builder painted the gold-iridated looking Milodon 30909 (post-1986 SBC) oilpain. Just engine enamel spray bomb. I called Milodon direct and the guy said he cant recommend touching it without damaging the oilpan and "requiring a new one". Is it not actually an iridated finish; just a faux finish? Has anyone ACTUALLY gotten overspray on one and taken it off without harming the finish?
Paint stripper (dichloromethane) should do it. My Milodon pan, oil pickup, slosh baffle, and windage tray have survived several years of hot oil (inside) without the finish coming off. That's a pretty weird thing for Milodon to say.

-----------

From their Web site:

Milodon oil pans are plated in our trademark gold. Aside from a quality look, this plating is actually a military spec rust preventative. After an acid dip to to remove all surface imperfections, the initial coating of zinc is applied with the cosmetic gold applied over that. Unlike painted oil pans, this gold plating can be applied inside and out to provide a totally clean and rust free oil pan. As painted oil pans can not be painted on the inside, they will be subject to loose welding debris and other contamination.

Last edited by 2001Blazer4x4; 09-10-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Their website doesn't allow for email contact; eshewing that for the telephone...which I like most times. However, the person who answered the phone was decidedly annoyed that I asked this and waltzed around the issue. Either the coating is fragile (ie acetone will take it off) or He didnt know.
Ive got to imagine theres been people who have gotten overspray on their oilpan. This is just 2 evenly applied coats of overspray LOL

Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,103 Times in 880 Posts
If acetone takes what is claimed to be irridite off then it isn't irridite it's paint. Irridite is a conversion coating process it is immune to solvents.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM

It's not iridite. After further digging, its some kind of "zinc conversion coating"
Here's what milodons webpage says
"ilodon oil pans are plated in our trademark gold. Aside from a quality look, this plating is actually a military spec rust preventative. After an acid dip to to remove all surface imperfections, the initial coating of zinc is applied with the cosmetic gold applied over that. Unlike painted oil pans, this gold plating can be applied inside and out to provide a totally clean and rust free oil pan. As painted oil pans can not be painted on the inside, they will be subject to loose welding debris and other contamination."
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM

If he prepped it with a scotch brite or some other way before painting what's left behind after paint removal might not be visually appealing either. Just saying. He might have skinned up the finish and that's why it's painted. Some of those types of coatings are not what they used to be. The EPA has stepped all over the plating processes.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 09-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Thanked 1,103 Times in 880 Posts
I've never seen solvent or aircraft paint stripper do anything untoward to a Milodon pan, but given how things change to cheaper with time I can't say with concrete surity. They still advertise it as a plating but in their copy use paint and plate rather interchangeably. We've painted a lot of them with a lacquer thinner wipe down then paint the exterior. Some guys bead blast them first, I havent seen the need.

Bogie

Last edited by BogiesAnnex1; 09-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM

You can try a clay bar spending a hour or so rubbing over the overspray.
Other then that your left wirh the choice of painting the pan silver or some other bright color that shows oil easily with some vht paint.
Or your left with buying a new pan.

Any kind of chemical may affect that pans coating leaving the above your best choices.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

Kinda like the once-vaunted HF "purple" spray guns that were so popular a few years back. Sure looked to be anodized, but a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner and the color was all gone.

Russ
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Redneck Professional

Quote:
It's not iridite. After further digging, its some kind of "zinc conversion coating"
Here's what milodons webpage says
"ilodon oil pans are plated in our trademark gold. Aside from a quality look, this plating is actually a military spec rust preventative. After an acid dip to to remove all surface imperfections, the initial coating of zinc is applied with the cosmetic gold applied over that. Unlike painted oil pans, this gold plating can be applied inside and out to provide a totally clean and rust free oil pan. As painted oil pans can not be painted on the inside, they will be subject to loose welding debris and other contamination."
Exactly what I said in post #2.....
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
Kinda like the once-vaunted HF "purple" spray guns that were so popular a few years back. Sure looked to be anodized, but a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner and the color was all gone.

Russ
When you spilled paint on that HF gun it turned into a big sticky glob. It didn't help that the inside would get gooey like the outside even when using a small amount of paint over the time it took for several coats on whatever you were painting.

On the thought of the pan being plated. Here is my thought, It was cleaned and dipped or sprayed into a conversion coating material that has either pigment or maybe paint mixed in the coating When the pan is ready to dry the chemical has converted and sealed the steel and the pigment adheres to the coating. You may be able to lift the overspray with acetone but I would be suspicious that the "Gold" was anything else than paint.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Redneck Professional

If it is only paint, how does the "gold" survive on internal engine parts like the Milodon windage tray, slosh baffle, and oil pump pickup when bathed in hot oil for extended periods?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2001Blazer4x4 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Blazer4x4 View Post
Exactly what I said in post #2.....
I apologize for that. I had forgotten you had said that and I posted from the tablet, which is a bit different. I should have noticed.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Redneck Professional

Quote:
I apologize for that. I had forgotten you had said that and I posted from the tablet, which is a bit different. I should have noticed.
Absolutely no apology needed. But relax, solvent that doesn't contain acid/base or oxidizing/reducing agent is not going to dissolve that gold finish on the oil pan. However I imagine you could possibly eventually rub through it though if you tried with a wire brush and/or other things. So a good aircraft paint stripper or even more preferably dichloromethane carb cleaner is in order to not damage during paint removal. I think that is what you want to ensure, correct? You're planning on taking it off the engine to get rid of the paint, right? Just try a little paint stripper or CH2Cl2 carb cleaner on the inside of the pan to prove it to yourself. The ammonium hydroxide in the paint stripper does have a little bit of base (make stripper pH 10-12) so I would check for reactivity with the finish if you use that.

SAFETY DATA SHEET
KLEAN STRIP AIRCRAFT PAINT STRIPPER (I think I got mine from Auto Zone)

Concentration75-09-2 Dichloromethane {Methylene chloride; R-30; Freon 30} 60.0 -100.0 %
67-56-1 Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Wood alcohol} 5.0 -10.0 %
1336-21-6 Ammonium hydroxide {Ammonia aqua; Ammonium liquor} < 5.0 %
1330-20-7 Xylene (mixed isomers) {Benzene, dimethyl-} < 5.0 %
64742-47-8 Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) < 5.0 %
68132-50-3 Fatty acid soap < 5.0 %
100-41-4 Ethylbenzene {Ethylbenzol; Phenylethane} < 3.0 %

Last edited by 2001Blazer4x4; 09-11-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM

one of you guys is Heisenberg
The Following User Says Thank You to lmsport For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (09-13-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in