repainting 79 trans am bumper, help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

repainting 79 trans am bumper, help

Im painting the front bumper on my 79 trans am race car,its already sanded down and I will be using nason 2k primer, nason black base coat, nason clearcoat.My question is do I need a flex agent in any of these materials? If so what brand of flex, and will one product work for everything listed above? Ive never painted anythind this flexable before and dont want thoughs annoying spiderweb cracks later on done the road. Sorry for asking a question that has been beat to death but I searched and didnt find anything about nason products. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 PM

This was a discussion awhile back about flex agents. A few used them, but believe most say they are a waste of money. Modern urethanes are fairly flexable as it is. I've never used a flex agent on urethane bumpers and haven't seen a problem not using flex agent. Even saw one that was totalled not too long after and the bumper was all a twisted mess, and the paint was pretty much in tack. Also used a cheap single stage urethane comparable to nason- omni ss urethane on one of my cars. I used that car to move my broken down old truck,and the chain tore the bumper. No paint missing or flaking off, just a nice clean tear. Most flex agents I believe will add very little flexability, think Barry K did a test. Many are used for installing parts and will eventually leave the paint. I've never had a problem installing a part without a flex agent either. Prefit, but I've done a little twisting installing without a problem. Most important on the urethane bumper is going to be good prep, make sure every square inch is sanded well. If a new bumper, clean well with soap and water and wipe down with wax and grease remover, before sanding and after. I normally spray an adhesion promotor on any bare urethane piece such as bulldog before painting. But I'll admit I've done some without using the adhesion promotor and didn't see a problem, but cheap insurance.
Now I kinda remember bad bob mentioning something about a flex agent in some seminar that added good flexability and didn't leave the paint if it was a certain type, but you don't know if its included or not. With what I've seen, I have no reason personally to want to spend money on a flex agent, but if you want to pay the added $$$, guess thats up to you.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM

"Impact Coating" was recommended for my 72 Firebird on the front bumper but when I recently painted my del sol, the guy at the paint store said not to worry about it. I haven't had any problems what so ever.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Paintshop Dog

I agree with Kenseth about the flex additive. It's really in the prep. But, that cheap Nason clear will probably rock-chip horribly!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the help guys.!!!!1

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in