Repairing paint wrinkles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Repairing paint wrinkles

I have a somewhat related question. I was trying to do a little blend inside a door jamb. After sanding the existing clear coat, I sprayed basecoat and it wrinkled, much like old school lacquer over pre-acrylic enamels. What did I do wrong? I had changed color on the bottom of my pickup a little over a month ago and just didn't like the way the bottom edge of the door jamb looked. Now I have wrinkles.

A paint supply shop said I needed to primer, but at some point where I am trying to blend color and clear, color has to go over prior clear coat. So, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds to me like there are still solvents coming out.. Patience is key.. Sand the area and if you expose bare metal so be it.. Prime the area and let it set until you are sure all the solvents are out.. Then do a light dusting of base coat.. may take 2-3 passes to get the area covered.. light dusting coats are vital and letting the solvents come out between coats.. Same on the clear coat with dusting the clear on until you have a final..

Critical to not apply too much material on each pass..

Sam
MARTINSR (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Wrinkles will usually show back through more base and clear unless you sand them all the way out. Some clears have some touchy recoat windows if you are trying to base over fresh clears or because you have broken through back into base. Might be helpful to know what branded materials. Sometimes the dusting method will get you through it but if a metallic color, it can make the base very grainy in appearance or shift the color because the metallic is standing up. I have used some waterborne products in the past to get through some touchy solvent based paint problems. Maybe a couple coats of H2O clear base or intercoat clear and dust some color over it and ease on a little clear. Could always shoot some test panels so as not to make the problem on the vehicle bigger and bigger.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 06-19-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,830 Times in 4,063 Posts
Many of us put activator in our base coat even if not required. Usually about an ounce for a quart of ready to spray base. It will make your base less sensitive if you break through or have go back over it later.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Hipster_G (06-19-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Sounds to me like there are still solvents coming out.. Patience is key.. Sand the area and if you expose bare metal so be it.. Prime the area and let it set until you are sure all the solvents are out.. Then do a light dusting of base coat.. may take 2-3 passes to get the area covered.. light dusting coats are vital and letting the solvents come out between coats.. Same on the clear coat with dusting the clear on until you have a final..

Critical to not apply too much material on each pass..

Sam
EXACTLY!

"Wrinkling" is caused by solvents getting UNDER the substrate. It is likely not a 2k product that you are painting over, and the solvents from your paint are going through or sliding under at a sanded thin point or feather edge point to wrinkle it up.

As Sam said, patience is the key! Of course removing the substrate is the "best" way to do fix the problem. But if you can't do that then applying your paint lighter, using a faster flashing reducer, spraying when the substrate is warmer, spraying dryer, leaving more flash time between coats, all of these things are going to lessen the amount of solvents that can get under the substrate.

Spraying a dry coat is the "bestest" way to solve the problem.

I have literally "dusted" a product on so friggin dry it was almost totally flashed off in seconds after the pass with the gun, and even that left to flash more for 10-15 minutes then dusted again taking many "coats" like this, 10-15 of them because it was sprayed so thin to build up that protection over the weak substrate before a wetter coat could be applied to get it good for clear or paint to be applied.

Brian
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv_e56s View Post
I have a somewhat related question. I was trying to do a little blend inside a door jamb. After sanding the existing clear coat, I sprayed basecoat and it wrinkled, much like old school lacquer over pre-acrylic enamels. What did I do wrong? I had changed color on the bottom of my pickup a little over a month ago and just didn't like the way the bottom edge of the door jamb looked. Now I have wrinkles.

A paint supply shop said I needed to primer, but at some point where I am trying to blend color and clear, color has to go over prior clear coat. So, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Reason the paint store said you need to prime is because theres normally less solvent in primer than in base color. So it can be more forgiving on a surface that is prone to swelling and wrinkling or lifting when wetted with solvent. The feathered edges are the most vulnerable and out where its just color over clear, the clear is unbroken. The popular solution in my experience has been to spray very light coats of primer mixed as a sealer until featheredges are isolated and any swollen edges can be sanded a little. But you'll have to spray very carefully once you attempt to apply color again.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Sand out the wrinkles, then dry spray, I mean, freakin' d-r-y dry spray numerous coats of color, with plenty of flash time between coats. Now, is not the time to get in a hurry, it will take up to 3 hours, or more to get this done, but you will be able to avoid primer. The plan here is to "seal" it with dry sprayed color. Then apply a couple "normal"/ish coats of color to lay it out, and be ready for clear. Then spray the clear very carefully. and very lightly. You want to "seal" the color coat with the first couple or three coats of dry clear, before you wet it up for a shine. It will take more coats, because you're coating lighter than normal, same amount of paint though.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. It worked!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in