Replace Half Door Skin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Replace Half Door Skin

Have read everything I could find about replacing a skin, but all seem to use a new part and I need to make my own. This might of course be my worst idea ever, the problem of starting the "fold over" in the right place to maintain the proper edge immediately presents itself.
The intention is to eliminate a previous repair where there is a deep layer of bondo across the door to hide an overlapping join. The repair is in the lower third of the door. The lower corners have rust holes, so replacing the lower half of the skin looks, to me, to be the answer. Trying to fold the edges is what is scaring me.
Would someone be kind enough to offer some guidance?
Thankyou so much, John.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,892 Times in 4,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28chev
Have read everything I could find about replacing a skin, but all seem to use a new part and I need to make my own. This might of course be my worst idea ever, the problem of starting the "fold over" in the right place to maintain the proper edge immediately presents itself.
The intention is to eliminate a previous repair where there is a deep layer of bondo across the door to hide an overlapping join. The repair is in the lower third of the door. The lower corners have rust holes, so replacing the lower half of the skin looks, to me, to be the answer. Trying to fold the edges is what is scaring me.
Would someone be kind enough to offer some guidance?
Thankyou so much, John.
What is it for? You may be able to have one made if you can't buy a new one. Splicing a skin in the middle is pretty tough, if you go up to a body line (say it is on a 1928 Chevy like your name implies, it can work out pretty well.

It can be made from scratch, simply make a pattern and fold using a brake, or folding it over a piece of angle iron clamped to a bench.

I have made stuff like that from scratch and simply going by your common sense you can get an awful lot done.

Brian
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Door Work

This is what I did. Something like this?:

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/door/door.htm

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/index.htm

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM

Last journal entry: it can roll now

what are you working on? i just did door skin where i went most the way up on a 64 chev door. i have a bunch of pics, kinda step by step if you would like. like stated above if you can get to a body line it would help and ad strength and suport.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Thankyou for the three replies, I appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences.
Yes, there is a body line which also has a moulding strip so that will help with the join in the door of our old Peugeot Wagon.
The Pantera repair is what I would like to do, was unsure whether the door frame would have enough strength, even well supported, to begin the bend. Will give it a try.
Any photos of similar repairs would be of great interest to me.
John
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 AM

28chev,

older doors without the side impact beam tend to warp when you cut off the skin so it is easier to fit everything in place with the door mounted so you can make adjustments to match the body.

Make a pattern to match what is there then bend the contour and turn the edge 90* on the bench with a hammer and dolly a little at a time. Do the entire bottom 15* then go over to 30*, then 45*, ect. Same with the edges. Trying to turn it 90* straight away is where the problems start.

You can fit the skin and bond it on with 3M 8115, not cheap but very easy to use well, GREAT stuff. Once bonded, just fold the edge over with the hammer and dolly, a little at a time. YES, you can bond the center seam also, just have at least 1/2" overlap, 3/4" preferred.

3M 8115 bonding adhesive
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 AM

Thanks Bodyman I am starting to build up a pretty good picture.
You are so right, the final fit is the most important, I did not realise that the door might go out of shape.
John
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
You can fold metal over a tables edge by placing a 2x4 over the metal and clamping it down,then fold the edge down,(a homemade brake)but you wont get a nice sharp bend...What I would do (without a brake) is go to your local sheetmetal shop and have them fold some metal FOR you ,that'll give you a nice straight ,sharp bottom edge ..When making your measurements dont forget to add an extra couple inches in hight plus the lips on the sides.I use drill screws to hold everything in place while marking.you should be able to get out for under 10.00 ask for "paint grip" coated metal if they have it, it'll keep it from rusting while your working on it. Welding the seam without warping is tricky but I've found some very easy ,common sense ways to do that....Also,get a flanger at HF to step the seam(40.00 ,"very important") it'll also add strength for welding....Installation is is a whole other story and would take time to explain the whole process but this will get you started.Have the metal shop bend you up some (at least two) you might screw one or two up,that way your starting out with good quality stuff...For me,this is THE most enjoyable work there is, in the whole resto process.So enjoy....
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Door skin

I still have to do the doors on my 29 nash roadster but I made a deck lid from scratch. I used the brake to do a slight bend at the edges to have a good straight line to follow with the hammer and dolly for the sides that have a shape similar to a model A, the top and bottom I made 90 degree bends then shrunk the flange to get the top and bottom slight curve.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 AM

chevy wood

most old chevies I have seen are a wood sub structure, more carpentry work usually to get the skin to fit. My son Is planning to replace all the wood with steel tubing on his 34 chevy pickup .
Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

jeff lilly resto

Jeff lilly restorations has a lot of pictures on restorations he has done on his site
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I still have to do the doors on my 29 nash roadster but I made a deck lid from scratch. I used the brake to do a slight bend at the edges to have a good straight line to follow with the hammer and dolly for the sides that have a shape similar to a model A, the top and bottom I made 90 degree bends then shrunk the flange to get the top and bottom slight curve.
Now theres a metal man. Metal shaping is a fasinating world...isnt it? Also try www.metalmeet.com you cant help but learn something.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Very nice job.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch21
Very nice job.
hey look a newbie.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Spa Mercenary

Last journal entry: Updates July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
Newbie question: what is the advantage or purpose of riveting the lap joint seam before welding it? What I mean is does it have to be rivets or can I just clamp if I can rig them into the joint? Would screws or spot welds be OK instead? Thanks very much for helping me to understand.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in