Revolutionary metal working tool? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Junk or Jewel?
Junk, just another gimmick. 22 81.48%
Jewel, I can't wait to start using it. 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,100 Times in 4,477 Posts
Revolutionary metal working tool?

I saw this thing at NACE, very interesting indeed. It looks like a die grinder. Three different lengths, one normal, one about 15 inches and one about 35 inches long.

It uses a hardened steel odd shapped "wheel" at the end. These "wheels" come in all different shapes, not certain of why. But they are highly polished super high quality looking pieces.

They spin at 20 thousand RPM and tap the dent out like a little minature planishing hammer.

The guy had a video going that made it look like it could only rough the metal, all the while he is talking like you could repair without paint work. Now, I admit, I didn't hang around for the whole video, like one of those reruns on late night tv that you always turn on right at the same point in the story everytime, I kept catching this video at the same time.

Sounded darn interesting. I don't know about the whole "revolution" of autobody repair and all, but interesting.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DominatorII.JPG
Views:	3643
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	8036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DominatorIIbackside.JPG
Views:	2159
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	8037  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Wiki Edits: 49

On the surface it seems like just another gadget to me. However I'm not a pro so I'm really interested in what some of our regular body guys have to say.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

It looks like a gadget to me as well, but I'm sure it would have some uses. There's always some areas that can't be worked from behind.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM

The whole shebang costs about a grand, don't think I'll get one soon. But I have thought about making one of those heads and put it on my die grinder and give it a try.

Brian
Old 11-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

My first impression is that it won't work, but who knows? It may end up working on a similar principle to the stainless shrinking discs...
Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM

After I got done laughing at the salesman I took a good look at it. Looked like a gadget to me also. The salesman,to me,didn't help the sale of the tool. The guy I talked to had never used it! But what do I know,I,m a painter!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:58 PM

Yeah, the guy I saw talking about it at NACE was like a Mary Kay lady (no offense to any Mary Kay ladies reading) slash cheerleader. It was like he was doing an infomercial hyped up on speed.

In theory, it should do a lot of what they say. I mean, picture taking a my little Proto pick hammer and taping with that pick lightly, only the weight of the hammer over and over in one spot. One tap wouldn't do much at all. But a thousand times, you are going to have a dent, a pretty large one. So if you had this spinning dog bone shaped thing that you can put up against the metal tapping it a thousand times in a few seconds, it makes sense.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 11-28-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 PM
DENT REMOVAL SYSTEM

to my good buddy Brian

and to all you guys out there thinkin about the Dominator. It does work. I know, cause I not only was the guy at NACE but I invented the tool. You got questions, I got answers.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:28 PM
DENT REMOVAL SYSTEM

How long have you been doing body work? 5, 10, 20 years? How long have you been doing it the same way?
Well guess what? Metal has changed over the past 50 years, but, the process hasn't changed since the days of 'lead'. Todays metal is so much thinner, than metal just 10 years ago. Today you can push the metal out 'by hand'. SO WHY DRILL HOLES!? WHY WELD TO THE METAL TO PULL IT BACK INTO SHAPE?
The Dominator is the FINISHING TOOL tool that is used from the 'inside of the panel' and can literaly put the 'orange peel' back into the paint. We use pnuematics, glue, and then the Dominator----no bondo---period!!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
DENT REMOVAL SYSTEM

AC/DC guess the name explains it.

I don't know who you talked to at NACE. I was to have my own exhibit booth, just for the Dominator, but, I live (or lived) in New Orleans. So, for this years NACE, I actually showed the tool in conjunction with my manufacturer, along with his other tools. I was the only American.(the manufacturer is Taiwanese). So,Unless the guy you talked to could hardly talk english, then you talked to me! I've been using the tool for the past 4 1/2 to 5 yrs!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 AM

Oh no, by the way you are posting, it was you. How you doing? LOL. This is wild.

Ok, here is a question for you, how in heck did you show up here, NOW. Do you google "Dominator" everyday to see if someone is talking about it? Do you have a friend who visits here? This is just wild.

Ok, you were pretty high strung about this product. If it did everything you say, and as easy, you should be excited.

As I said in my last post, in theory, it makes some sense.

Instead of worring about what others think of it and what I said about your theatrics, tell us about the tool.

First off, why isn't there any real info on the web site. The flyer has more info than the web site.

In the video that I saw on both the fender and the bed side there was still noticable damage, why did it look that way?

Brian
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 AM
[email protected]

There are always new gadgets on the market that work miracles. Most that I have seen that are really hyped up, quite frankly are junk. To spend a grand on something like that sure seems to be unnecessary. If you are working on the newer vehicles, the metal is so thin that, if you can get behind the dent, you can, in many cases push it out. Sure it may be harder on some, so you use some leverage, or some type of taping tool. If there is enough room for me to get my die grinder in there, I can get alot of other stuff in there to move the metal. Probably with more accuracy.

Hey... If every one of those fancy tools actually worked as adverised, we all would be so broke that we couldn't afford to "play" with our "toys". We also wouldn't ba able to get in our garages, because they would be full of these gadgets.

This is just my opinion. Brian, you can buy one and let us know what you think of it in about 6 months to a year. At that point, you would know if it is just a new gadget, or if it just sits in your toolbox.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers

I say we get Bondoking to try it out!
I get him to try new products for me all the time.
(he has lot's of money)
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Wiki Edits: 2

I think the key argument is that modern metal is thinner than the old stuff, so it is important to note is this is probably intended for thin gage steel not 20 + year old steel. So for the hot rodder it would not be as useful. Either would take a lot longer, or not work at all. Am I correct? What gage steel is this ideally recommended for?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:52 AM
old car nut

Well I just voted and the results right now show one in favor (guess we know who that is) and everyone else against. lets throw out a challange. I have many fenders with dents in them that would be excellent trials. These are fenders from the twenties. Lets see what this product can do on old stuff. The thing to remeber is that forty years ago we didn't have TIG and MIG in common use so there is always room for a GOOD new product which will be accepted. Salesman, inventors or people with vested interest in the product who get their hackles up when some one says things about their product are bad for business. Listen to your critics and don't take offense and then add their suggestions to the product to make it better. Just one old mans opinion
Jan

PS: How many people remember an amphicar. A good idea with no market.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in