Ridler 675 vs Torq Thust II - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2020, 11:34 PM
1969 Mustang Coupe Project Car

Last journal entry: New Project Mustang, From Jag Daddy to Stang Daddy
Wiki Edits: 0

Ridler 675 vs Torq Thust II

I'm sort of at an crossroads. I'm thinking of going 235/55R/17 on all 4 corners of my 69 mustang. I actually have a set of tires that size right now on some 2005 GT rims. However I don't want to run 1 1/2 inch spacers on these wheels. So I've been looking at both Ridler 675 wheels and the classic Torq Thrust Wheels.

I don't have any experience with the Ridler products as far as quality, I can find them at a much lower price point. But everywhere I look I see muscle cars on Torq Thurst II's and they look great.

I also love the old school 14 or 15 inch with raised white lettering look.

Any thoughts on 17x7 0 offset wheels with 17's on a 69 stang? And any help with the quality and stuff on the Ridler wheels would be great.
Thanks every one.
Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2020, 09:15 PM

Anybody???
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 PM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,084 Posts
I got nothing on the Ridlers but the Bullitt wheels look good on anything (if thats the ones you mean). I use them on a front wheel drive car myself. Is the low value of them worth running the spacers? Entirely your call, on that.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag Daddy View Post
I'm sort of at an crossroads. I'm thinking of going 235/55R/17 on all 4 corners of my 69 mustang. I actually have a set of tires that size right now on some 2005 GT rims. However I don't want to run 1 1/2 inch spacers on these wheels. So I've been looking at both Ridler 675 wheels and the classic Torq Thrust Wheels.

I don't have any experience with the Ridler products as far as quality, I can find them at a much lower price point. But everywhere I look I see muscle cars on Torq Thurst II's and they look great.

I also love the old school 14 or 15 inch with raised white lettering look.

Any thoughts on 17x7 0 offset wheels with 17's on a 69 stang? And any help with the quality and stuff on the Ridler wheels would be great.
Thanks every one.
Mark

Hey Mark,
I dont have personal experience with either, but will be buying the torque thrust 2s soon. I did do some research on the riddlers and they seem nice. I own a wheel company and the thickness of chrome on lower cost wheels is concerning. If there is even a little corrosion, chrome starts flaking off in chunks and is not easily repaired, actually costs more to repair than to buy a new wheel. Likewise, many times with less expensive wheels, the metal seems to bend easier on potholes and such. I will not vouch for American Racing TT 2s since I've not owned them yet nor experience in repairing, but the company seems more solid and may be better to work with as far as customer service. Some aluminums are MUCH softer than others. Something to consider. BTW, from what I remember, both are made in "China " (Trump voice)
Old 07-20-2020, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the reply, I was worried about the chrome myself and so I was looking at the sliver with the machined lip. I figured IF I wanted to paint them later I could or simply have them powder coated. The stang isn't going to be a daily driver, Just a Coffee and Cars and family outing car so rust shouldn't be an issue. I really do appreciate the input, I didn't want to open a can of worms just needed some straight tech data to make an informed decision.

Cheers
Mark
Old 07-20-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I was worried about the chrome myself and so I was looking at the sliver with the machined lip. I figured IF I wanted to paint them later I could or simply have them powder coated. The stang isn't going to be a daily driver, Just a Coffee and Cars and family outing car so rust shouldn't be an issue. I really do appreciate the input, I didn't want to open a can of worms just needed some straight tech data to make an informed decision.

Cheers
Mark
I'd say if you go in with eyes wide open, then cheaper is still OK. If in fact chrome peels, at least you knew that going in and accessed the risk choosing lower price over quality. My dads project was looking at the REV 100 classic, but price is just way to close to torque thrusts to consider the copies.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:33 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,736 Times in 3,102 Posts
There is also Vision Wheels , Muscle Series 141 Legend 5 wheel. It looks like a cross between the ARE TT 2's and the Ridler 675 as far as spoke shape.
You can get it in chrome, gunmetal with machined lip, or black with machined lip.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:13 AM

You know I looked at those when they first hit the market, the prices were very reasonable. But they seemed to have gotten just as expensive as the Touq Thrust II now. I'm getting to the point where the car is really coming back together and I know I'm going to need some expensive parts in the future. i.e replacing the air with a vintage air system. So budgeting is critical.

I also have a pair of 18 inch Cobra wheels that I bought but they will not fit without major mods. But for the price I couldn't pass them up. Maybe they'll fit my Explorer.

Thanks you guys for the input I'm still working this all out on paper as well.

The GT rims look ok on the 69 but I very leery of running 1.5 inch spacers, I've heard tons of horror stories.
Here is what the GT wheels look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191116_131840_8997.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	457391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20191116_131827_303.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	457393  
Old 07-21-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You know I looked at those when they first hit the market, the prices were very reasonable. But they seemed to have gotten just as expensive as the Touq Thrust II now. I'm getting to the point where the car is really coming back together and I know I'm going to need some expensive parts in the future. i.e replacing the air with a vintage air system. So budgeting is critical.

I also have a pair of 18 inch Cobra wheels that I bought but they will not fit without major mods. But for the price I couldn't pass them up. Maybe they'll fit my Explorer.

The GT rims look ok on the 69 but I very leery of running 1.5 inch spacers, I've heard tons of horror stories.
I did the same thing. I bought a set of Boyd Coddingtons new in box because price was too good. They won't fit without spacers in the rear and front won't allow for turning. Im going to have to sell them. Maybe you could sell yours and put it back into the budget. Thats what I'm doing now,selling everything I can get my hands on. This hobby is expensive!!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:56 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,736 Times in 3,102 Posts
Quote:

Just me opinion, but when I see modern deep backspace, no front dish wheels run on old cars using a spacer to get the wheel to fit the car I hate the look...it looks like the cheap $1 plastic toy cars sold at the local Dollar Store.

The old car body lines need some kind of deeper dish to the front of the wheel to look right....spoke faces right out to the rim edge just look cheesy to me....and that includes the modern Bullet and Cobra wheels retro-fit on old cars, Same thing for the Chevy guys using Corvette or Camaro wheels from the late model 1996 or later on '60's and 70's cars.

That's just a personal opinion though...
Old 07-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Big Jim

Last journal entry: Project Nova: Tornado Survivor

Times 2 They just dont look right
Old 07-21-2020, 04:28 PM

My daughter watches this movie called Holes. Its about kids who have to dig holes for punishment. Well 2 kids run off with no food or water to escape and one is passing out and requests a hot fudge Sunday. To motivate the smaller kid, the larger kid promises it to him. Well they make it to the top and find water and purple onions. The older kid gives it to the younger to eat and the younger says "What is this?" The older says, " its a hot fudge Sunday...eat it"
Whats my point...use what u have until u can get what you want.
Those take offs aren't my first choice and probably not yours either, BUT if that's what your budget allows, then they are your ice cream Sunday.
What I would do? Sell the GT's and whatever else you can find and get what fits, even if it's the riddlers or any other. If you have the cash, then the sky is the limit. 1 is not a thin spacer. Longer studs, the time to install and whatever other costs might push you over the edge with regard to cost.

Last edited by jsm1847; 07-21-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:02 PM

Eric I totally agree that they don't look right, that's my point. I got those for 50.00 with almost brand new tires. I stuck them on the car so I could get an idea of what it would look like. I hate the fact there is no dish to them..

That being said, it installing these gave me a ton of info that I needed about running 17 inch tires etc. These are installed on one side. The other side is on jack stands.

I really appreciate all the input, it solidified my determination to make this look correct. It's hard to tell when you see a wheel/rim at a store or web page to tell what it's going to look like on your car. I've been doing a ton of research and good photos of my car with the wheels I was looking at are not that plentiful. Believe me I want those off as soon as possible.

But at least I was able to say I put them on and this is why I don't like them.

Mark
Old 07-21-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Eric I totally agree that they don't look right, that's my point. I got those for 50.00 with almost brand new tires. I stuck them on the car so I could get an idea of what it would look like. I hate the fact there is no dish to them..

That being said, it installing these gave me a ton of info that I needed about running 17 inch tires etc. These are installed on one side. The other side is on jack stands.

I really appreciate all the input, it solidified my determination to make this look correct. It's hard to tell when you see a wheel/rim at a store or web page to tell what it's going to look like on your car. I've been doing a ton of research and good photos of my car with the wheels I was looking at are not that plentiful. Believe me I want those off as soon as possible.

But at least I was able to say I put them on and this is why I don't like them.

Mark

$50 is a steal...
Old 07-22-2020, 04:25 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake

To add more safety to the spacer solution, you may use center rings.
Or get spacers that centres against both the spindle and the rims centre hole.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in