Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 04:39 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Today I have done something I have never done before and that is weld on a body panel and metal finish it.
Some will remember my problems in the welding thread about MiG welding thin sheet metal. I found I was having machine problems. That fixed, I jumped into replacing the Right rear quarter panel corner.

I cut the bad metal out using the new corner as a template. I then took a 1" strip of sheet metal and spot welded ( With my handy Harbor Fright spot welder) it to the top inside edge of my replacement panel and slipped the sheet metal under the T quarter. Then I butted my new panel up as tight as I could and spot welded the strip in place.
Next step was to spot stitch with the MiG. I would do about 5 spots then hit the panel with air. I kept the temperature of the panel to room temp and it turned out pretty damn good for a beginner. I did learn Mig welds are harder than heck to hammer down. A lot of stitching, hammering, and grinding and it is almost complete. I may draw file it a little more but for now I am going to jump on the other side before I forget how I did this. Just a couple a pics today a before, during, and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	229305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	229313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quarter3.jpg
Views:	99