Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

December 2015 Roundup

December 2015 Roundup on Project Sleepy T

Here it is the end of 2015. I thought I would do a year end round up on Project Sleepy T.
Right now I have a tacked together rolling chassis. Lets go back some and see how I got here.
When I last left you I was getting ready to start on the rear suspension. The rear suspension consists of a Ford 31 spline 8.8 in positrac rear end running 3:73 gears at this time. That gear combo may change to 4:10 gears later.

A1

Here is the 8.8 rear with the oem brackets removed and the new 4 link brackets attached and ready to set in place on the frame bench.

The rear end is hung on a set of parallel 4 link bars and will be held up by Coil over shocks. The panhard bar is attached to the housing at the pinion. This 8.8 rear end has a nice flat flange on the forward part of the housing next to the pinion. This flange was used to mount a big ol chunk of steel to dampen vibrations in the drive line. With the steel removed I fabricated a mount for one end of the Panhard bar. The other end of the bar is secured to the frame with a welded bracket with 3 adjustment positions. The rear upper coil over mount and rear cross member caused some initial problems as I put it in the wrong place. I totally forgot how much room I needed for the coil overs so I hacked the cross member out and decided to go with a tubular cross member I picked up from JWs Rod Shop. After re measuring everything I tacked the new cross member in and got the numbers Bang On.

A2

Finalizing the rear cross member location.

A3

This is a great place to mount the Panhard bar.past the centerline of the axle. This used to be a mount for a chunk of steel here to dampen driveline harmonics in a previous life.

A4

The frame mount on the rear panhard was pretty straight forward. The tricky part was providing enough clearance around the various components.

A5

This is the rear panhard rod installed. It clears everything from full up to full down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	264706   Click image for larger version

Name:	A2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	264714   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3.JPG
Views:	62